You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jwaler

Thursday, July 14th 2005, 3:54pm

Febco 765 poppet

I purchased a replacement poppet from sprinklerwarehouse this week.
When I installed it, it did not hold and leaked. After comparing
the old poppet and the new one, the new one has a tiny hole in the
bottom. The old one does not have this. Is this a defect or
did I order the wrong part?

Jim

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 14th 2005, 5:34pm

Possibly. It's likely the 'bonnet' on a 765 that gets broken. The poppet, containing the washer that seals the device, usually isn't the problem.

jwaler

Friday, July 15th 2005, 10:20am

Should the poppet have a hole on the bottom though?
(at the bottom of the shaft where the brass bonnet
part goes in)

Jim

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, July 15th 2005, 5:31pm

A hole is an opening on both sides of an object, through which water could travel. An indentation is similar, but appears only on one side of the object. Without an equivalent opening on the other side, there is no pathway for water to travel through. With the groundwork of these definitions laid, are you referring to an indentation? If so, find something else to worry about. The manufacturing process for plastic parts can change, and so can the appearance of the parts, even though they still are functional in older equipment.

jwaler

Sunday, July 17th 2005, 4:24pm

It is a hole. Pour water in the top of the poppet and it will
come through. I only asked since I have never installed one
before. It cost me $30 and I would like to return it to
sprinklerwarehouse if it is defective.

Jim

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 17th 2005, 11:13pm

Email them and check. I don't currently use the Febco devices, so I doubt if I have anything on hand to go by, unless I replace another broken one. I do see changed plastic parts, with deep indentations where none existed before, so that's why I asked.

Rate this thread