You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bwood

Saturday, July 23rd 2005, 10:11am

Valve problem from ****

I had a problem zone. I knew which box fed that zone, but not which valve. So I tried each valve manually - none work. Two of the three zones from that box still work electronically, so I had to disconnect each solenoid and see which one was not activating to determine which was the bad zone (I don't understand why they won't work manually).

So I replaced the solenoid on the problem valve only to discover that that circuit was bad. I used the spare wire to that box, and verified that the solenoid was now activating, but the sprinklers still don't react at all. So now I realize that apparently the circuit and the valve both went bad. So I replace the guts of the valve (the housing looks fine) and still nothing.

I would think that if the water line was being pinched off by roots the water wouldn't stop <b>completely</b> (this zone worked fine in the spring), so I have no idea what could be happening here. Please help.

Here's another weird thing: I wanted to see if water was flowing to the bad valve so I took the top off and turned the water supply on; nothing. Just to be sure, I took the top off another valve <i>that I know is working fine</i> - same thing! I would expect water to shoot out of the line but nothing comes out! How does it work at all?

rand651522

Saturday, July 23rd 2005, 10:39am

Im not sure I completly understand but heres one to throw at you for trouble shooting.You may have already checked this too.If not sounds a little like the master valve is holding you out when you try it manually but will work from clock as its getting energized from there.Some systems don't even have them others do,makes it a little more time consuming to trouble shoot cause you gotta make sure it on first.Hope it helps Randy

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 23rd 2005, 4:45pm

As Randy said, some systems are equipped with Master Valves. You can tell if your system is equiped with a master valve by looking at the wiring terminal on the controller. There should be a terminal marked MV for master valve. If there is a wire connected to this terminal, assume there is a master valve. You will want to locate this valve, if you have one, and troubleshoot from there. Also, if you have a backflow device, you will want to check there to make sure everything is operating normally there as well. It is not very likely that a line would be completely pinched off if the system was operating normally in the spring. You will also want to check the yard for a major leak somewhere, just in case.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

bwood

Sunday, July 24th 2005, 7:43pm

What does the master valve do basically? I wouldn't know how to begin to troubleshoot...

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 24th 2005, 8:15pm

A master valve is installed before your zone valves and after your backflow device. Basically, it is in place to keep water from flowing to your zone valves. If there is a leak downstream from the master valve, it won't leak constantly when the water is off. The master valve opens when a zone valve opens, thus allowing water to flow out to the system. Like I said, you will know if you have one if a wire is connected to the MV terminal on your controller.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

bwood

Tuesday, July 26th 2005, 4:10am

I do have one, but if there was a problem with it, wouldn't every other valve be affected?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 26th 2005, 6:30am

The master valve isn't the problem. It just interferes with your attempts to diagnose the original valve problem.

bwood

Wednesday, July 27th 2005, 4:53am

But is it possible that the master valve fails to work properly <i>only</i> when my problem valve is activated?

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 27th 2005, 6:53pm

That is pretty unlikely for it to do that. I would suspect like Wetboots said that the MV is only hampering your efforts to diagnose the problem. I would suspect your problem is further down stream. Try troubleshooting the actual non working zone valve at this point. IE - the diaphragm and the solenoid for starters.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

bwood

Thursday, July 28th 2005, 4:55am

But as I said, I replaced the solenoid, verified that it works, and replaced all of the parts in the valve (including the diaphram - I actually tried three different sets of parts including brand new ones). Not a drop comes out of the sprinkler heads, so it's doubtful a line is being pinched. I have no ideas about what to try next.

Rate this thread