You are not logged in.

jstandfest

Starting Member

Saturday, July 23rd 2005, 6:06pm

How to remove rotor for replacment?

****o,

I've got Rainbird 5000 rotors and one of them needs replacing. what is the easiest way to get it out of the ground with out digging up the lawn around it, my pliers are too small to get a grip on the body of the sprinkler to unscrew it. Aren't there some special wrenches or something to just unscrew the whole thing and remove so the new replacment sprinkler can then be screwed into the fitting? If there is a special tool for this where can I find it?

Thanks for any help or advice, these forums are great.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 23rd 2005, 7:58pm

You have two options. If you are going to replace the rotor with the same type of head, you can just unscrew the top of the head (the "guts") and leave the sprinkler body in the ground. Unscrew the top of the new sprinkler head, and screw it into the old body. That generally only works if you are swapping out the same type of head. If you are going to replace the entire sprinkler, I would suggest digging up the grass around the sprinkler. The area doesn't have to be that big, and it isn't too difficult to do. You will actually have less of a hassle digging up around the sprinkler head and replacing it, than trying to unscrew the sprinkler, and risk having dirt fall into the line or water coming out of the line and backwashing dirt and debris into the line. The easiest option is to buy the same type head, and go with the first option.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

bobw

Advanced Member

Sunday, July 24th 2005, 6:53am

If your pliers are too small to turn the head, invest in a pair of channel lock pliers that can expand to the size you need.

Rate this thread