You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rastogi999

Sunday, July 24th 2005, 8:54am

Controllers and Backflow devices

I have two bids for installation of a irrigation system in my front and rear yards (total lot size 120 X 80 ft - rear yard is 45 X 80 ft) They plan about 7-10 zones. One contractor is using the Hunter ICC controller and the other the Hunter Pro-C. I am not sure which is better (ie reliability and ease of use)

Also one of the contractors has listed the use of the Febco Model 765 Backflow Valve as well as the Wilkins Model 975XLU backpressure device. The other contractor however has not listed any backflow valve in the bid. I presume a backflow device is required, But I am not sure if the additional Wilkins backpressure device is necessary. I would appreciate any input. Thanks

toxin

Sunday, July 24th 2005, 6:42pm

Good question...Most of the time a backflow device is not "required", but is probly one of the safest moves you can make. No matter who you go with, make sure you have the guy install one. Now for the clock issue, you can really go with either one altho the ICC is a little overkill for your project. The PRO-C is expandable to up to 15 zones, and it's a lil bit cheaper. I put a pro-c on all my jobs that are less than or up to 12 zones, ICC's for the bigger jobs(usually like 15-30 zones)

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 24th 2005, 8:09pm

The ICC is not necessary at all for your application unless you plan to expand past 15 zones. The ICC is built for large commerical applications. The Pro-C is a fine choice both in affordability as well as reliability. As for the backflow, like Toxin said, you will want to make sure one is installed, required or not, it would be a very wise and inexpensive investment to make to protect your water supply. Not sure that a back pressure device is necessary, but a backflow device is highly suggested.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

rastogi999

Wednesday, July 27th 2005, 8:44pm

Thanks for the excellent information.! The contractor states that he only installs the "RPZ Wilkins" backflow preventer, because he is able to remove it during winterization, which he cannot do with the Febco model 765. He states that he will only warrant the Wilkins unit. Can you confirm whether this RPZ Wilkins unit is removable? Is it advantageous to install a removable Backflow preventer?..or should I still insist on the Febco model? I would appreciate your input again. Thanks.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 28th 2005, 2:25am

You never <u>have</u> to remove a backflow preventor in winter. The RPZ devices, though, have places where water can remain, unless they are partially disassembled. More work than some contractors care to do. The Febco is a pressure vacuum breaker, and has to installed so that it's a foot-and-a-half higher than the highest sprinkler head on the system.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 28th 2005, 5:25pm

If the system is going to be properly winterized with compressed air, then it wouldn't matter if you removed it or not, because all of the water should be blown clear of the backflow and all of the irrigation lines anyway. Both devices have advantages and disadvantages. I install the Febco 765 on most applications
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Rate this thread