You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mmount

Wednesday, July 27th 2005, 1:21pm

Changing Control Valve Brand

Can I replace a Toro Valve with a Hunter Valve, this forum and my experience indicates Hunter is a higher quality product, in general.

I want to replace two Toro control valves for use with an Toro Vision 1 Sprinkler Timer/Controller (Model 188-96-02, Serial 38613). While it is tough to confirm, I believe the current valve is the Toro 254-16-04. The sprinkler warehouse apparently does not handle this valve model but I have found it elsewhere.

Would the Hunter PGV Male Thread x Barb Control Valve, PGV-101MB offer an acceptable alternative that will work with my Toro Timer/Controller?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 27th 2005, 3:40pm

It's a whole lot easier to get another Toro valve, and just switch out the guts. A pro would only replace what was needed, likely a diaphragm or a solenoid. Not every Toro product is a dud.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 27th 2005, 6:46pm

Is the valve itself not working, or you just want to replace it with a higher quality product. Like Wetboots said, especially if the valves are close together, you are going to have one heck of a time tearing everything apart to replace the valves. I would keep the valve bodies and just replace the internals of the valves still using Toro.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

mmount

Friday, September 2nd 2005, 1:32pm

Thanks for the rapid and on-point response. Sorry it took me this long to acknowledge your helpful advise.

Rate this thread