You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

GKF

Starting Member

Sunday, July 31st 2005, 12:12pm

Upgrading Older Nelson System

I've recently purchased a home that has an in-ground sprinkler system using Nelson equipment installed by one of the original owners probably close to a decade or more ago. The controller is a 7 zone system (we have 5 zones in use) using a Nelson 8407 Res 7 Electronic Controller. I just recently tested the system (subsequent owners had not used it) and found that it still functions quite well, but that a few of the in-ground pop-up impact rotors are broken. Never having had a sprinkler system before I'm not certain how best to go about fixing/replacing the rotors and checking out the system. Any suggestions? Also, whats the best place to get replacement rotors? Is there value in upgrading the controller given that the current system seems to work? Can systems be mixed and matched--eg. Torro, Nelson, etc?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

--GKF

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 31st 2005, 4:04pm

You can refit the broken impact sprinklers with new mechanisms (match the nozzle color) and save yourself the digging, if you get the special Nelson repair wrench. Check your local irrigation suppliers. These won't be found in home centers or hardware stores.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 31st 2005, 4:09pm

Best place to find your replacement parts and tools, is probably John Deere Landscapes. There are a few of them close to Vienna, VA
<font color="blue">
Address 7953 TWIST LANE
SPRINGFIELD VA 22153
Phone 703-440-0900
Fax 703-440-0927
Email mveslick@johndeerelandscapes.com
Distance Approx. 10 Miles

Address 4155-A WESTFAX DRIVE
CHANTILLY VA 20151
Phone 703-968-7081
Fax 703-968-7083
Email rwoodrome@johndeerelandscapes.com