You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

frank

Monday, August 8th 2005, 11:22am

multi-strand cable splicing

When running multi-strand cable to several valves, which are not located in the same valve box, should you cut the strand you are using for each specific valve so that the power is not available downstream?

If not, at the end of a 7-strand run, how do you keep the end strands from touching each other. Electrical tape would not be enough, since it would not be waterproof. Using a waterproof connector on each of the five unused strands would work, but seems wasteful. Comments?

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, August 8th 2005, 1:11pm

If you are running one 7-strand run from controller to valve box 1 to valve box 2 ... to valve box N, then I would do the following...

#1. Run the 7-strand wire from controller to valve box 1. Cut the entire cable (making sure you've left a little extra for making splices).

#2. Run a piece of 7-strand wire from valve box 1 to valve box 2. Cut the entire cable (making sure you've left a little extra in both valve boxes for making splices).

#3. Repeat Step #2 until you've got wire to each valve box.

#4. Splice all white wires together (including the "common" wire for all valves) in all the valve boxes.

#5. Pick a color for each valve. In each valve box, splice those two matching pieces together from the controller to the valve. Don't make any more splices with that color beyond the selected valve.

This way, if a wire ever goes bad from one valve box to another, you can just change the splices as needed and your not wasting waterproof caps on unused wires and you don't have loose wires with power going to them.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Monday, August 8th 2005, 5:22pm

Basically, you want to cut the wire as you need it at the valve box.

Say for example, you have a five zone system, and you have a 6 strand cable. - Yellow, Blue, Green, Red, Purple, White

All of your valves are in seperate boxes.

At valve box #1, you are going to connect the yellow wire, so you cut that wire out, and the white wire out (common) and connect them to the valve, leaving the rest of the wires intact for the remainder of the valves. Now, the yellow wire after valve one is dead and no longer needs to be worried about.

At valve box #2, you are going to cut out and connect the Blue wire, and the white wire which will be continuously running to all valves again for the common.

You will repeat this until all wires are used up. Any extra wires, so long as they are not connected to the controller, can just be left unstripped.

Just like to add one more thing - Cutting the entire cable and running it to each box is a bad idea. Not only are you doubling the amount of splices, they are also unnecessary splices. More likely for something to fail, and more resistance in the wiring.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 9th 2005, 12:45pm

One reason to go with the cut-em-all approach is that (more in olden times) the outer insulation of irrigation multi-conductor-cable could be very difficult to cut without also cutting into the inner conductors. Besides, you do make reliable splices. <b><i>Don't you?</i></b>

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 9th 2005, 7:15pm

A sharp knife or even a good set of PVC pipe cutters will open the insulation jacket around the wiring no problem, if done carefully...you don't damage the wires in the jacket. Of course, that is just my opinion.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 10th 2005, 12:28am

Some of the early irrigation cables were much tougher to work with than today's stuff. I remember a specific slitting tool offered for cutting the outer insulation. For myself, there wasn't a choice in the matter, because I always used successively smaller cables as I progressed from box to box.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 10th 2005, 5:55am

Makes perfect sense, old timer [:D]
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

frank

Thursday, August 11th 2005, 3:53pm

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

We finally had a dry day, so got'em wired up. Cut each strand at its respective valve.

Tested, work fine.

Thanks again.

Frank.

Rate this thread