You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sue

Starting Member

Thursday, August 11th 2005, 10:47am

crazy controller

I have a Toro Greenkeeper controller, which we installed in 1994. It has worked perfectly until this year. I have checked, double checked and even had a neighbor check and the timer set up appears perfect. However, when in the automatic mode, it comes on at the set time, runs through the set times and then repeats itself over and over until I go manually shut it off. Any suggestions?

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 11th 2005, 12:38pm

[Just to state the obvious]
Buy a new controller.
[/Just to state the obvious]

You got 10+ years out of the current one, and a quick Google appears to indicate they still make a version of the Greenkeeper, though you might find something at the local Lowe's or Home Depot that's cheaper.

If you don't need a bunch of different programs for the different zones (i.e. you run all the zones back-to-back on the same days) then Orbit makes a 4 and 6 zone controller for as little as $20 and $25 at Lowe's.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 11th 2005, 1:28pm

I wouldn't scrap your controller just yet. There is nothing wrong with it. I know you said you checked, double checked, and neighbor checked the controller...but..what exactly did you check? For more than one start time? The Greenskeeper controllers also have functions for Programs A,B,C. These might also have start times programmed that are causing multiple cycles. Did you try unplugging the controller and removing the battery to reset the controller to the default settings? If not, you may want to give that a try too.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

toxin

Thursday, August 11th 2005, 7:36pm

Tony raises an excellent point. i would say out of 800 customers i have, at least half of them play with the clock and manage to get 2 3 or even 10 start times programmed in, and that will cause exactly that probly. also, i regards to the comment about orbit controllers, just remember you get what you pay for...especially in this industry. i would recommend going with a hunter pro-c to ensure that you have a good, solid and durable clock that will have a long life. but check those start times first!

Jazzer K

Friday, September 2nd 2005, 6:27pm

I would go with a new controller just because of all of the new technology, you cannot go wrong. So much nicer and easier to program and adjust later. Hunter Pro-C is my recomendation.
Kasper's Landscape & Design Inc.

Rate this thread