You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, June 6th 2002, 12:54pm

PVC vs Poly

Where can I find information on the relative advantages and disadvantages of each? Poly seems like it would be easier to work with, but I assume there is a downside, too. Is it significant?

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Monday, May 12th 2003, 11:49am

PVC leading to the valves (schedule 40) because that can only hold constant pressure, and poly for downstream piping. Poly has really no disadvantages, but these are the advantages
- Can be pulled by a contractor, no damage or digging
- Is connected to fittings by clamp, no glues
- can be heated with blowtorch to soften, and that easily allows you to insert fittings
- flexible
- easy to cut, 1,2,3

Id use poly

Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers
Thanks
Ray

RVLI

Supreme Member

Monday, May 12th 2003, 3:52pm

Don't heat poly pipe! It weakens it and eventually may cause a leak

Do not heat pipe so it is easier to insert the fitting. I use a small amount of dish soap on the barbed part of the fitting to help it slide in.

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Monday, May 26th 2003, 6:34am

True!!!! All the contractors do it around here and i have been doing it, (quick heat) and it helps with the fitting, i have never actually had a problem with it

But i guess, anything is possible

Thanks
Ray
Thanks
Ray

sparkie

Wednesday, July 2nd 2003, 12:27am

??One time I heated up some water in a microwave and poured in onto the poly pipe to insert a replacement piece-it worked well. That wasn't as much heat as a torch so probably didn't weaken pipe, right?

Sparkie

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 2nd 2003, 8:47am

Right, when i said i heat poly pipe, i didnt mean like i practically melt it, i just use a small amo9unt of fire from the blow torch, and quick pass over the pipe. Nothing will happen from what you did!

Thanks
Ray
Thanks
Ray

cfipp

Tuesday, April 3rd 2007, 8:07am

People say that you can use either poly pipe or PVC with poly having more benefits. Then I also frequently read *not* to run funny pipe more than 2-3'. Isn't funny pipe made of poly? How is it that you can run poly pipe long distances but not funny pipe? I can only conclude that they are not the same - they must either be different diameters or different material or both?

Thanks,
Carol

drpete3

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 3rd 2007, 9:47am

the answer is both. But the reason to not use long lenghts of funny pipe is due to diameter and loss of flow.
Thanks,

Pete

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 3rd 2007, 2:27pm

And cost...;)

I have frequently run funny pipe over 10 feet...however...it depends on what it is feeding....don't run that much funny pipe to a large rotor....but it will handle most anything at that length....but it costs so much more to do it!
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Rate this thread