You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

sss25

Wednesday, August 17th 2005, 10:21am

I-20 with Hunter ICV & Accuset Pressure regulator

I am about to finish installing my irrigation system. There are 7 Zones, 30 I-20 Rotors and 22 PROSPRAY heads in my system. Using 7 PGV 1" Valves and Wilkins RPZ backflow. There were about Here are some of the problems I am running into.

The rotor zones range from 14 to 27 feet. I selected I-20 due to its ability to cover a broad range and good reviews. Some of the rotors are throwing water too far than their specified nozzle perf charts. I am thinking it is due to high PSI in my system. My water pressure measured at the hose showed 78 PSI.

What are your thoughts on using Hunter 1" ICV valve with Accuset as a pressure regulator and master valve immediately followed by the Wilkins RPZ?

Due to space limitations and fittings, I cannot put the master valve in a valve box. It will have to be on air attached to the pipe in a vertical position. Do you see any problems with that?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 17th 2005, 10:45am

Why don't you use the radius reduction adjustment screw that's in the head? Those pressure reduction valves take away more than you might be able to afford. Are your zone valves equipped with flow controls?

sss25

Wednesday, August 17th 2005, 10:58am

Thank you for the reply. I tried using the adjustment screw. By the time I get the radius to my liking the throwing pattern is not looking good. This high PSI is also affecting my Sprayhead radius.

I have flow control on my PGV valves and on I-20's too. I thought the flow control only reduces the GPM not the PSI on valves. Do you know what exactly the flow-controls do?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 17th 2005, 11:34am

Try the flow control on the valves, if the breakup screws gives you coverage that bothers you. No one uses pressure regulation to control distance. A few rare heads use nozzle trajectory to control distance. The rest have to use the breakup screws.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 17th 2005, 12:56pm

You could just put a pressure regulator on your mainline right after your point of connection, and simply use the set screw on that to regulate your PSI. That would be cheaper than replacing all of your valves.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 17th 2005, 2:32pm

Unless the nozzles are blowing fog, just use the breakup screw on the rotors, or perhaps you need to install larger nozzles, to get a higher flow and lower pressure, with reduced spray distance as a result. If you were expecting the rotors to be spraying at radii of 14 to 27 feet, you have misread the performance charts. You normally are calling for a I-20 to spray 35 feet or even more.

sss25

Thursday, August 18th 2005, 4:39am

I might consider installing a pressure regulator (or ICV valve with accuset) on main line. This also will function as a master valve. ICV being a regular valve, if I am loosing too much pressure, I could take Accuset off the line and use it just as a master valve.

Regarding the I-20 radius, I went by the specifications provided by Hunter. They say I-20 is the one for all rotor. There are short radius nozzles available for I-20 which can go down to 17 feet. I am using the breakup screws on them to get down to 14 feet.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 18th 2005, 5:14am

The only time a pro uses pressure regulation is when the supply pressure exceeds 100 psi by more than just a few psi. You can do anything you wish, whether or not it makes any economic sense, but adding pressure regulation in your situation is wasteful. If you want less distance from the existing heads, throttle down the flow controls on the zone valves. That's one reason why they're there. Don't ask questions about it, just go out and try the adjustments.

sss25

Thursday, August 18th 2005, 5:32am

Irrigation subject is very new to me and only knowledge I have about them are from reading books and web. I really appreciate comments from you all. The only reason I am here is because you pros are there. I do not want to make mistakes by doing the way I like it. Please provide me reasons for not doing something and I will get it. Like, when you said 100PSI is the range to use Pressure regulator, I understand that. I will try the flow control ajustments on the valves to see if I can get it down to reduce the PSI.

Thanks.

sss25

Thursday, August 18th 2005, 5:33am

Again, what's your thoughts on using I-20 for short radius from 14 to 27 feet?

Rate this thread