You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Helen Graves

Thursday, August 18th 2005, 3:39pm

Which sprinklers for garden area 7 ft x 50 ft

I know nothing about sprinklers. My husband said, "Decide what you want and order it." The area is a terraced area that is 7 ft. deep x 50 ft. wide. He buried irrigation pipe along the front of this area. I have planted it with short shrubs and junipers which require some water, but not a lot of water. After the sprinklers are done, I plan to cover the dirt with decorative bark as a mulch. Do I need sprinklers that spray water in a half-circle of about 6 ft.? If so, should the spray over-lap? How many sprinklers for an area 50 ft. wide? Any advice on the sprinklers to use for this area would be greatly appreciated.

Because we live in the mountains (snow, temps down to 10-degrees), we will have to winterize the system.
Helen in N. Calif.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 20th 2005, 6:16am

You don't need overlap, when all you are watering is shrubs. You don't even need popup heads. You could use riser-mounted bubblers or stream sprays. Anything that will deliver water in a short-distance pattern will work.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 20th 2005, 9:51am

If the shrubs and other plantings are already installed, I would suggest a type of drip emitter system here. It won't disrupt the existing landscape, and it easy to install and set up.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Tom

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 21st 2005, 5:11am

you could run netafim drip tubing

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 21st 2005, 7:39am

An advantage of sprays or bubblers is their durability, and ability to visually confirm their functioning and winterizing. Besides, with a poly pipe (I'm assuming) already in place, it's kind of hard to just ignore it for drip.

Helen Graves

Sunday, August 21st 2005, 8:45am

What's your opinion on Rainbird's all brass shrub sprayer? Would you recommend this product? I saw it on Rainbird's website.

Yes, we have a poly pipe in place underground and other pipes coming up 10 ft. apart. It appears that the Rainbird brass shrub sprayer comes in a half-circle spray and sprays 15 ft.
Helen in N. Calif.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 21st 2005, 9:42am

Brass shrub spray? Not worth it. Now, if all the shrubs are shorties, you could use as little as four or five (if your pressure is low, use five, spaced twelve or so feet apart) Rainbird 1812 high-pop mist heads with strip-pattern nozzles. (15EST/15CST or 15SST/15RCS/15LCS) - Total water comsumption will be less than 5 gpm, and the full coverage will allow you to place annuals in the bed, should you wish. Hunter makes side-strip nozzles, like Rainbird's but with a bit wider coverage (5x30) Since your shrubs aren't planted smack against the edge of the bed, you don't need to spray water on the foot or so near those edges.

Rate this thread