You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, August 19th 2005, 11:22am

Replacements for Toro 58278

I put in a Toro irrigation system 5 years ago using multistream sprinkler heads, model 58278. I have had to replace 2 or 3 rotors a year due to inner plastic fly wheel failure. Unfortunately, Toro no longer makes these models. Toro reps told me to try the Model 53757 as an alternative. Not only is the model 53757 female inlet 3/4" (my design was for 1/2" inlet), the multistream 53757 does not distribute/reach as far as the 58278. Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement for the Toro 58278?
Thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 20th 2005, 4:11am

If you must have sprinkers with ½" inlets, you could try Rainbird's 3500 or Hunter's PGJ - these may be taller than your present sprinklers, at seven plus inches. Purely in terms of watering flexibility, their standard ¾" inlet rotors (5000 or PGP) are the best bet, and you can always get a bushing for the larger inlet. Toro still makes the 300 stream rotor head, which is the original that was copied for the home improvement stores, and there are different nozzle assemblies for it, so you might find a match. The 300 has a ¾' inlet and is 6 inches tall. If you are stuck with needing shorter heads, you could try a K-Rain K-1 rotor, which has a ½" inlet.

bobw

Advanced Member

Saturday, August 20th 2005, 4:36am

In the last couple of instances where I had to replace the Toro's, I ended up using a 3" pop-up head with a MP Rotator nozzle. This was the best way to solve the height issue for these particular installations. If height isn't a concern, then the RB 3500 is a great midrange head.

Rate this thread