You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

sptaylor98

Friday, September 2nd 2005, 8:27am

3 Valves in 1 Area Do Not Turn On

I have an old HydroRain 9 zone controller. Three valves that share a common box do not turn on electronically. The valves do work correctly, however, when I turn on valve (via the control box) AND turn the bleeder screw on the individual valves.

I changed the diaphragm and spring in one of the valves last night, but this did not fix (or change) the valve's behavior.

My hypothesis is that the solenoids of the 3 valves are not properly grounded (they share a common ground wire).

Is this a reasonable conclusion?

Thank you!

bobw

Advanced Member

Friday, September 2nd 2005, 10:28am

Most likely the commmon wire is not connected properly. Checks to see if it has come loose ro if it has broken where the wires from the valves join into it.

sptaylor98

Tuesday, September 6th 2005, 6:36am

Since my first email, I have collected some more data. I
used a volt meter to measure the current flow through the hot wire to the valve box: 24 volts at the control box and 24 volts at the valve box, a good thing. This means, I believe, that the ground wire is working fine, since I used the ground wire to complete the circuit with the volt meter.

I was able to make all 3 valves function propertly by turning the bleed screw on all the way. So I know that the valves are mechanically sound.

When I turn on any of the 3 valves, I hear the solenoids trying to work. But since all 3 are not turning on, I now believe that all 3 solenoids are defective. So I am going to replace all 3 valves.

I now have (old) Hydrorain valves. Do you know if I can buy replacements valves that are compatible? Then I can just replace the solenoids and top part of the valves, leaving the bottom part of the valves in place. This would be very easy to do and eliminate a lot of work.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, September 6th 2005, 7:02am

More testing may be required. Reading voltage is only a beginning. You want to read the wiring's resistance in connection with that valve box, since you can still get 24 volt readings with poor connections. See what the solenoid voltage is when the timer is trying to activate a zone. Redo all the wire connections you can see. By the way, if the valves work manually, and the solenoids are activating from the controller, make sure the passageways around the solenoid are free of debris. Your valves will be serviceable for some time, so replacements aren't needed.

sptaylor98

Tuesday, September 6th 2005, 1:18pm

Thank you for the useful response.

I will check the current flow through the wires (where they connect) while the control panel is activating the solenoid, making sure that it's 24V.

As a next test, is it possible to purchase stand-alone solenoids for valves, install them, and see if this fixes the problem? I'm not sure how the solenoids are physically attached to the top valve cover.

I thought that I had to buy a whole new valve to get a new solenoid but then did a Google on solenoids and got some web sites that sell solenoids for Hydro Rain valves.

Thanks again!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, September 6th 2005, 2:39pm

Those use a standard 3/4 x 20 solenoid that Irritrol valves use. They just unscrew from the cover, with the water turned off.

sptaylor98

Thursday, September 8th 2005, 10:37am

Good news!

I replaced the solenoids and the valves now work fine. I guess all 3 valves failed and, for the time being, the new solenoids have fixed the problem.

Thank you for all your assistance!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, September 8th 2005, 1:08pm

Don't toss the old solenoids yet. The likelihood of three simultaneous failures is far less than that of a bad wire connection(s) - which have now been redone, with the installation of the new solenoids.

sptaylor98

Friday, September 9th 2005, 8:37am

Good point.

Do you know where I can find/buy a Hydro Rain valve top? I managed to strip the solenoid socket on one of the valves (should have pulled out the plastic box in the ground around the valves first!) and now the new solenoid will not screw in properly and function. I'd sure like to avoid replacing the whole valve (in the ground). Thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, September 9th 2005, 12:20pm

Covers, or bonnets, for discontinued valves will be hard to come by. Try to fit the solenoid with the aid of some teflon tape, or maybe remove the cover and then attach the solenoid, then replace the combination of parts.

Rate this thread