You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

dennyboy34

Wednesday, September 7th 2005, 11:18am

Stainless Clamps for Poly Pipe

Still trying to decide whether to go with PVC sch. 40 or polyethylene pipe in a freezing locale. I'm leaning toward PVC. Here's the question: any experience with corrosion of the stainless steel clamps used on poly pipe fittings? What is the lifespan of these clamps? [?] I think they are usually type 304 stainless. I would hate to have to replace them every so often.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 7th 2005, 12:07pm

An Oetiker stainless steel crimp-on clamp is forever. So is any good all-stainless worm-gear-clamp. Poly pipe is a much safer way to go in freezing climes.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Thursday, September 8th 2005, 7:04pm

The crimp on clamps are the way to go. They are much more cost effective and much easier to install.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Friday, September 9th 2005, 4:19am

"all stainless worm gear clamp"
I guess homeowners and cheesy contractors don't have access to those because often times when digging up leaks in poly here in colorado, the culprit is the "radiator" clamp and the rusty bolt that is ruined....

Get the crimp on type, pay the 15 bucks for the crimp tool and be happy!
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

tozar

Saturday, September 10th 2005, 2:45pm

There is also a big price difference between all stainless steel worm gear clamp and all stainless steel oetiker crimp on clamps. The all SS worm gear clamps are at least a $1.00 each and you may need 100+ of them. This gets expensive fast.

You should use SS worm gear clamps on the valve connections which you may need to disconnect at some point in the future if you are using poly pipe. It is easier to unscrew the clamp in a valve box then cut the crimp on clamp.

lush96

Advanced Member

Monday, March 20th 2006, 6:05pm

it is called STAINLESS STEEL for a reason....duh

Tom

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 21st 2006, 5:05am

lush96, i invited you to bring your wit and wisdom over to the irrigation forum at lawnsite.com. many of the guys over there could benefit from your expertise. i for one have become a much more intelligent person since having the luxury of your experience presented in a clear and concise manner.

Rate this thread