You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Grimlock43

Monday, September 12th 2005, 8:33am

Basic Components Needed and Installation Advice.

This is the first time that I have had to do anything concerning a sprinkler system. I have visited several web sites to try to do my best in reserching the subject. But I would appreciate all the advise that I can aquire. I have resently started up a landscaping and lawn care buisness and I have encountered several of my customers tht have requested new irrigation systems. I have not installed a system yet. But I feel that I will be put in that situation soon and I am trying to bone up on the subject. Could anyone please help me with understanding the basics. Such as all the basic components and their function and operation and where they fit in the component layout. I understand about the psi needed to run the sprinkler heads and the calculations on the head pressure as it pretains to water and the piping. I am more concerned anti-flowback valves, zone valves , manifolds and the various programable controllers.[?] Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, September 12th 2005, 12:12pm

Consider spending some time working for someone else, and learning while you earn.

nestors

Advanced Member

Monday, September 12th 2005, 6:31pm

either work for someone and learn or just sell the systems and sub them out.

Nestors
Vincent Nestor
Nestor's Sprinklers & Lighting
Alpharetta,Ga.30022

vpn1@bellsouth.net

www.NestorsLandScape.com
www.GeorgiaLighting.net

nestors

Advanced Member

Monday, September 12th 2005, 6:31pm

either work for someone and learn or just sell the systems and sub them out.

Nestors
Vincent Nestor
Nestor's Sprinklers & Lighting
Alpharetta,Ga.30022

vpn1@bellsouth.net

www.NestorsLandScape.com
www.GeorgiaLighting.net

Grimlock43

Tuesday, September 13th 2005, 7:24am

Gentelmen...
I am over-whelmed by your assistance. I am 44 years old and a 10 year veteran of the Merchant Marine. I hold a Masters License (Captain).
I worked my way up through hard work and dedication. I worked in the Construction Industry for almost 20 years prior to that. I have had to resign my position due to an illness in the family. But I still have all the obligations and responsibilities of a 44 year old man and can not afford to work for minimum wage to learn the basics. I wish that I could. So I am asking as humbly as I know how, could you just lay out the basics for me. Thank You for your time and patience.

Tom

Supreme Member

Tuesday, September 13th 2005, 10:12am

ask the guy at home depot for the basics.............

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, September 13th 2005, 1:31pm

Why aim so low? Try for brain surgeon. No, seriously, just what trade goes around laying out complete how-to's whenever asked? Besides, in the state of Texas, you are required to hold an irrigation license to work in the trade. You should start with the instruction it takes to get your certificate.

Grimlock43

Tuesday, September 13th 2005, 3:46pm

Thank you.
I am indeed interested in getting a certificate. Where would I go to get it? Is it something that you would have to take a college course to get or does the state offer some kind of course to certify you? By the way I do happen to live in the Great State of Texas. South East Texas.
I do appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.
Thanks again.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, September 13th 2005, 5:15pm

Texas Turf Irrigation Association, PO Box 209, Weatherford, TX 76086, (817) 598-0907

And don't knock being a wage slave, if only on a limited basis. One can learn more while doing repairs than any five textbooks could teach you.

Rate this thread