You are not logged in.

dadgaume

Starting Member

Monday, September 12th 2005, 10:27am

Automatic Drain Valve

I am installing a sprinkler system and am pumping water from a spring feed creek. The water looks very clear when pumped into a bucket. My question is I want to install Blazing products automatic drain valves from Sprinkler Warehouse in the laterals.Will these clog up over time from the inside and not let the water escape?

fcmcommw

Tuesday, September 20th 2005, 12:31pm

dadgaume,
One thing to remember is that when you install automatic drain valves the water will drain out of the entire system everytime the water is shut off. You need to make sure that the area were the drains are can handle all of this excess water. From what I have read some people make sure the system drains into a ditch, well, or someplace they don't mind it being to wet. Also, this will increase your water usuage slightly since the entire system will have to fill up again prior to use. With my new system that I'm planning on istalling I opted not to have drian valves but I will have a little compressor that can blow air through the system basically running it on air and pushing all the water out of the system. If you don't think that you will remember to drain the system before the first frost then go ahead and put the valves on. If your tidious about these things like I am then this won't be an issue. You can also hire someone for a small fee to drain out the system for you. Also, make sure that you put a drain on each section between heads since water cannot flow through the head when its closed. Hope this helps a little

fcmcommw

Tuesday, September 20th 2005, 12:38pm

dadgaume,
I also wanted to mention that right before you install the heads make sure that you FLUSH, FLUSH, and then FLUSH your system. You want to open all the manifolds and let the water come gushing out of the risers until you think that the system has been cleared of any sand, gravel, or anything that might have gotten in there. If you don't there is a chance that your sprinkler will stay on due to sand caught in the maniold. This can happen and can be avoided by doing a simple flush. I know its messy but hey grab the kids and make mud pies while the system creates your own little water park :-)

Rate this thread