You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

DOORZ

Advanced Member

Wednesday, September 21st 2005, 9:33am

PVC Cross or T's

Is there any harm in using a PVC Cross in my lateral lines?

I have a 30' deep 270' wide area to be covered. This will have to be broken up into at least 5 zones, and I plan on using rotors in groups of 4 due to my GPM. I plan on breaking this long 30' stip into 30'x30' sections. I can bring my lateral down to a cross which will go to the first heads, then the cross will continue to a T, and then to the next 2 heads. Since the valves will be installed at one end the length of the laterals will get shorter as it each 30 section gets closer to the valves.

Is there any problem in using a cross to hit the first 2 heads and then continuing the lateral to the next 2 heads through a T, or should is there a better way to do this?

My only other thought was to run 4 heads spaced 30' apart on one side of the 30' strip in one zone, and then run a seperate zone with 4 more heads across from those 4 heads. All of the heads would just be T'd off the lateral, but I would need more pipe in total since I would need to bring 2 pipes all the end of the 30' long strip of grass instead of just one.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Thursday, September 22nd 2005, 4:36am

I assume you are talking about running pipes to a zone like this...
.....*.....*.
.....|.....|.
V----+-----|.
.....|.....|.
.....*.....*.
with all the heads (*) pointing towards each other in the zone. Nothing wrong with that.

As for your second plan, I would think that it would be better (when possible) to have all the water that's going to be spraying in an area of the lawn to all be on the same circuit.

Now your other option would be to run the pipes like this...
V------+*-------*......V------+*-------+*.
.......|......................|........|..
.......|...........or.........|........|..
.......|......................|........|..
.......+*-------*.............+*.......+*.

All three arraingments are just as valid, and since we're talking about squares, the amount of pipe is the same.

DOORZ

Advanced Member

Thursday, September 22nd 2005, 10:46am

I thouht I had read somewhere that it was better to use a two T's rather a cross. You first example is what I was looking at doing, and using a cross seemed to be the best way to accomplish that

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Friday, September 23rd 2005, 4:43am

I can not think of a valid reason to make a blanket statement that a pair of tees is better than a cross. The cost difference isn't that much. From a repair perspective, I could see if you had to cut out a section of pipe and repair it that it's easier if you've got Tees to deal with rather than a cross. But something like that is an unlikely repair to worry about if installed correctly. I would think the fact you can cut lined-up trenches would override setting up offset Tees.

Rate this thread