You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

sosinc

Monday, September 26th 2005, 2:54pm

Drains in a line after the water meter?

What do most of you people do if you are running your sprinkler main supply line off right after the water meter and right before the backflow preventer?
How do you blow the water out for the winter time by the backflow preventer?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, September 27th 2005, 4:35am

Just where is the meter located? In a basement?

sosinc

Tuesday, September 27th 2005, 3:43pm

No, outside. It's buried about 30 to 36 inches in the ground.
I see where some people have there backflow in there front yard, out in the middle of nowhere. Was wondering if I did it that way,and was wondering how I was going to blow the water out of the line for the winter time?
Wouldn't you put a shut off valve with a place to drain it far enough down so it won't frezze?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, September 27th 2005, 5:11pm

Outside meters are trickier, unless you are in at the very beginning. How you proceed depends to some degree on what kind of service line you have, and what local codes and practices are. My own preference would be to have the sprinkler shut-off valve right in the meter pit, with the system splitting off right after the meter. For a deep connection, there are valves that are meant to be operated with long keys, that control the water in deeply buried lines, and some of them have a drain that opens when the valve is closed. One of those could supply the system, but they are now forbidden in some areas, because the subsurface drain opening is a potential source of contamination.

sosinc

Wednesday, September 28th 2005, 2:07pm

Ok, thanks.

Rate this thread