You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

drdomore

Wednesday, September 28th 2005, 5:57pm

How to replace Hunter Sprinkler head

I was mowing my lawn over the weekend and as the lawn mower went over the sprinkler close to the exterior wall, the sprinkler head (which was partially exposed due to water?) broke off. I went to Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal Mart, Sears Hardware but I could not find a replacement sprinkler head. All these stores carry female heads but I need a male head. I tried to look at the Hunter website but got lost in the jargon.

I would appreciate if anyone would answer the following:

1. Half of the sprinkler screw at the base of the head is stuck in the pipe. The other half is in my possession and seems perfectly fine. Is it OK if I were to try to unscrew the the stuck part and glue it back to the head with super-glue and then screw the sprinkler head back? Are possible problems with this?

2. Where can I find a replacement sprinkler. The sprinkler head says the following at the top:
Hunter 4 0.3
Made in USA
10'A 1 - 360
Open
US# 4,579,285
PAT.#5,556,036

Thanks in Advance!!!

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Thursday, September 29th 2005, 4:38am

YOu need a nipple...and a nipple extractor...the head should be fine unless you smashed w/ mower.

A nipple is a 1/2inch poly pipe with threads on both ends....a nipple extractor is an "ez out" type tool that will remove the other piece from the pipe in the ground.

Look in yellow pages for and irrigation supply house and take all you have to them, they will help instruct.

Or call a service guy, should be around 50-70 dollars depending on your area.

Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

drdomore

Thursday, September 29th 2005, 4:42pm

Thank you SprinklerGuy!

I was able to get the nipple and teflon tape for $1.17!!! The problem is fixed. Earlier I had called several sprinkler service guys and they were charging $70-85 just for coming out to look at the problem.

Thanks again!

Rate this thread