You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

garbid

Sunday, October 16th 2005, 7:29am

Irritrol Total Control Stopped Delivering Water

My system suddenly stopped delivering water - either in manual or automatic modes. Irritrol 15 zone controller. Program still in memory, date and time settings still OK, but nothing I do will cause the system to deliver water to sprinklers. Rain sensor is bypassed. I had one transformer go bad several years ago and replaced it; don't know if the current one is good or bad, or if something else is causing the problem. Any ideas? Thanks

Garbid

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, October 16th 2005, 9:37am

Get a multimeter and start testing the wiring and controller output. Without one, you're just guessing. (try to keep to one thread with a problem)

garbid

Sunday, October 16th 2005, 1:20pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I have tested the transformer and it is delivering 24 volts to the panel. Where do I test for output - at the wiring panel or at individual valves? If at the panel, do I put the neutral lead of the multimeter on the white common connector and the red on each zone connector or do I do it some other way. Would appreciate a little guidance as I'm a great plumber but a mediocre electrician; and sorry about the double post -- I hadn't seen the troubleshooting thread when I posted on the controller thread.

Thanks,
Garbid

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, October 16th 2005, 2:51pm

Both points might be checked, but starting at the controller is easiest. You look for 24VAC at whatever zone is supposed to be on, measured to the common wire. When individual zones fail to operate, you might also take resistance readings for each zone, to check on the solenoids and wiring.

Also, doublecheck that rain detector, and make certain it's bypassed.

garbid

Monday, October 17th 2005, 5:23am

Wet Boots:
Thankls for your guidance. I checked everything out, found that all zones were receiving 25-26 VAC, rain sensor was indeed by-passed, no obvious shorts, so I removed the daisy chain connector from the controller panel to the circuit board and carefully reconnected it; and bingo, the system worked. Something as simple as a loose connection - which even the local sprinkler contractor's service team didn't detect - and I'm back in water. Thanks again for your help.
Garbid

lush96

Advanced Member

Sunday, March 19th 2006, 8:09pm

sounds like your local contractor team are bush league as are a lot of sprinkler companies. we always check connections first. man there are a lot of retards out there

Rate this thread