You are not logged in.

scorpion

Saturday, October 29th 2005, 7:39am

Wind factor

I'm in the design phase and I want to make sure I can account for the unknowns.

How much wind does one account for in designing a sprinkler system? I'm reading the
PGP nozzle performance chart and it documents for example on nozzle 2 at 40psi the max
throw distance is 30 feet. This obviously needs to be adjusted to account for wind but the
question is how much. For example if the wind is not exceeding 5mph do you find the nozzle
that throws the distance you need from the chart and grab the next nozzle up? The water at
the max throw distance is also not quantified but is that an issue if you design for head to
head coverage? I'm just thinking it might be if you don't account for the wind factor.

I'm guessing here that you need to turn the sprinkler system off once the wind speed exceeds
your design allowance.

jcruce13

Monday, October 31st 2005, 10:23am

I wouldn't worry too much about wind unless you live on the coast or an area that has wind over 10mph daily or frequently. If you did then go with low angle nozzles to keep the spray close to the ground....

scorpion

Monday, October 31st 2005, 4:38pm

Thanks for the response jcruce13.

Is it really that simple? Hunter's website even suggest adjusting the rotor for local conditions because their nozzle charts are based on zero wind. I just find it hard to believe that you only make adjustments in windy climates. The streams coming from these rotors to go 30' are thin. The nozzle I spoke of before has a flow rate of .8 gpm, which is less output than my shower head. I would think a wind speed of 5mph would affect these streams easily. Low angle nozzles have a much higher flow output than regular nozzles. The output can be 3 to 4 times that of a regular nozzle so I want to reserve their use to avoiding an obstruction.

Yes I can change the nozzles in the future but I can't move rotors out of zones if I need more flow to compensate for the wind later on. Can others comment on nozzles they use having flow rates of 1.5 gpm or less and how the stream is affected by a wind speed of say between 5 - 10mph.

The reason I ask is the average wind speed in my area is between 5-10 mph during the spring and summer.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/online/ccd/avgwind.html

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, November 1st 2005, 5:46am

You aren't really trying to cover a lawn with Hunter nozzles smaller than a #5 if it's always windy. Bigger nozzles have bigger water drops, and are less subject to being pushed around. If you are watering at night, or the wee hours of the morning, you may have much less wind to contend with.

scorpion

Wednesday, November 2nd 2005, 3:09am

Interesting. So I should design my rotors using nozzles that have a minimum flow of 1.5 gpm to compensate for the wind in my area. Thanks for the input Wet Boots. I'll keep that in mind.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, November 2nd 2005, 12:06pm

It may mean more zones, but 'big water' is harder to push around.

lush96

Advanced Member

Sunday, March 19th 2006, 6:25pm

the wind may be 5 mph today and 10 mph tomorrow. you cant design a system for wind. although if you live in a constant windy area, use closer overlap, and more frequent overlap of heads. this way water will hit all areas.

Rate this thread