You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

TheePres

Saturday, October 29th 2005, 2:40pm

Sprinkler Placement on Narrow Strip

My Yard consists of Strip that measures 7 feet wide x 70 feet long. Could i get youre advice on how to place sprinkler heads. I am hoping that one line down center of strip would do, does this sound like good idea? or should i place heads on both sides of strip?

Tom

Supreme Member

Saturday, October 29th 2005, 5:49pm

I'd use 8' nozzles on both sides of the strip

TheePres

Sunday, October 30th 2005, 7:34am

By 8', do you mean placing sprinklers on 8' spacings?
Should both ends of strip be on seperate valves?

Tom

Supreme Member

Sunday, October 30th 2005, 10:06am

yes 8' spacing on both sides of strips

4- 8' quarter sprays
16- 8' half sprays

total gpm=9.36 gpm using Rainbird nozzles.

I'd put all 20 heads on 1 zone.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Wednesday, November 2nd 2005, 10:29am

Seems like one of the things I've seen in this type of situation was to use triangular spacing. Start in one corner with a quarter sprayer. Move down the strip about about 4' and place a half on the opposite side. Move down another 4' and swap sides again. Continue going until you place a quarter sprayer at the other end of the strip. (In your case, use an interval of about 3'10" so that your last half spray doesn't get located 2' from the end of the strip).

The layout would require 17- 8' half sprays and 2- 8' quarter sprays (same gpm because you wind up subing one half spray for two quarter sprays).

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, November 2nd 2005, 12:20pm

Once upon a time, there were strip nozzles that could be spaced in a line down the middle of your seven-foot-wide strip, but those were brass nozzles no longer manufactured.

I know that I could effectively water that strip with eleven 8-foot nozzles. On one side would be quarter circle nozzles in the corners, with four more half-circle nozzles spaced in between. The other side would have five half-circle nozzles. The distance between nozzles would be fourteen feet. Not exactly textbook spacing, but the lawn would never know the difference.

Modern popup heads allow you to run many of them on a zone. Only in extreme circumstances would you ever worry about how many heads were in a zone - the total flow through the nozzles is what you'd consider.

TheePres

Wednesday, November 2nd 2005, 6:13pm

Thank You for this helpfull information.
I have tried sketching sprinkler placement as you describe, but am having no luck. It so happens that yard is not exactly as described earlier, would you be so kind as to take a look at sketch provided here and make suggestions on how to handle section at right end:
http://members.aol.com/theepres/images/yard2.jpg

Rate this thread