You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Halo

Sunday, November 20th 2005, 2:45pm

Protecting sprinkler head

I have a TORO system. One sprinkler head is installed at the intersection of the curb (about 4" high) and where our driveway meets the curb. We're very careful to avoid it when driving into our driveway. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same thing about other people that occasionally use our driveway to turn around and what not. The head is not damaged (yet) but it pops out at a slight angle so I think it's been run over (not while sprinkling of course, while in the ground).

I'm trying to find something to protect this head so my careless neighbors cannot damage it. One thought I had (an extreme one) is to get a fairly large piece of 1/8" sheet steel and have a piece cut that I can wedge on my side of the curb. I'm not sure it would work. It would have to go quite deep into the ground (a foot?) and maybe even need something to anchor it so if a car hit it, the car would be bounced back. Another possibility would be a few sticks of rebar. Neither sounds very aesthetically appealing in front of my house.

My favorite idea would be one of those "do not back up severe tire damage" tire puncturing contraptions. [:D]

All kidding aside, does anyone make something for this purpose?

Thanks in advance!

Halo.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Tuesday, November 29th 2005, 11:47am

There are select irrigation stores that sell a concrete "doughnut" that sits around the sprinkler head and just a hair higher than the level of the top of the sprinkler when its retracted. I haven't seen one in a while, but I know they used to sell them, in green even, so it wasn't too gaudy looking. Other than that, a flexible riser is your best bet, so it doesn't damage the sprinkler head when it is inevitably run over.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Halo

Friday, December 2nd 2005, 11:35am

Thanks! I'll take a look for that.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, December 3rd 2005, 2:56am

Once upon a time, certain sprinkler companies made a "support flange" for their heads, which greatly limited their ability to shift position. They are no longer manufactured. Designing a system to keep heads out of harm's way is a better way to go, whenever that can be done. You could always weld a short stub of pipe to a steel plate, to make a homemade support flange. You could also set the head in cement, with some space above it, for soil and grass to cover it. Whatever you do, make certain that the head is connected with a swing joint, so you don't have to repair that connection.

Rate this thread