You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

wetspot

Thursday, December 22nd 2005, 4:54pm

leaking sprinkler

I have a leaking sprinkler at the very end of a friends system.I assume it is because of dirt in the valve,or a problem with the diaphram. I can't use the manual bleed to find the faulty valve because the pump must be on in order for it to work.How can I find the faulty valve? TIA

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Friday, December 23rd 2005, 5:52am

I am going to assume that this sprinkler is leaking when the zone is off? Is it a continual leak far after the zone is shut off, or right after the zone is shut off? Typically on systems that do not have drain valves on the line, the excess water in the pipes will drain out of the lowest sprinkler head, typically at the end, after the valve is closed. However, if the sprinkler is consistantly leaking far after the valve is closed, it is very possible that you do indeed have a valve issue. Without digging up the entire yard to try and locate the valve, you will probably either have to rent some equipment, or call in a professional. There are devices in which you can hook up to your controller to make the valve solenoid vibrate loud enough that you can hear it above ground and easily locate it. This is by far, if you can get ahold of the equipment, the easiest route. You can also try a metal detector, but you probably won't have much luck there.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

wetspot

Friday, December 23rd 2005, 6:27pm

Valve locations are known, but trying to find which valve controls what zone.Yes they do leak constantly well after the zone shuts off.No drain valves on the system. Normally I could use the manual bleed to find the proper valve that controls a certain zone. But the pump must be on and there are at least 15 zones in his large yard.By running the timer I guess I could find out what zone is giving the problem, but how do I find the valve that goes to that exact zone? Thanks alot!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, December 24th 2005, 7:53am

You want to map the system out. If you know where all the valves are, just open a zone at the timer, then see which valve in the field is operating. Easy enough if the solenoids are noisy and/or heat up, or if you have a clamp-on ammeter to see which wire carries current.

If the valves have flow controls, those will make it possible to identify the valve in operation. Lacking that, you would be reduced to using the manual bleed screws, one by one, until you find the one that doesn't open a second zone.

At worst, you could open over a dozen bleed screws before you find the valve. Mark that valve, and repeat the process, which will get simpler as you identify each valve.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Monday, December 26th 2005, 3:40am

Or you can use a "krik-it"...valve locator. this item will open and close the solenoid rapidly...causing it to buzz like a cricket. It is an easy hook up...I don't know if SprinklerWarehouse carries this sort of thing, give them a call...if they don't carry it, I can track one down for u.

Good Luck.
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Rate this thread