You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

tkbryant

Monday, December 26th 2005, 12:59pm

Hunter Pro-C doesn't recognize module

About 9 months ago my Hunter Pro-C controller suddenly failed to recognize the added 3-zone module (zones 4-6). I tried to figure it out, but had no real success -- that is after reinstalling the module and turning on power some number of times, it decided to recognize the module. And everything worked for quite awhile.
Now it has suddenly stopped working again. I'd buy a new module but I don't know if it is the controller or the module.
Any ideas on how to diagnose the problem?

Thank you,
Tim Bryant

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Tuesday, December 27th 2005, 2:44am

Try this first as per Hunter Industries themselves...

described here.
The controller does not respond to all stations. Example, the controller has 12 stations but the display will only go to 6 stations. Controller does not recognize modules. Turn off the power to the controller and <b>remove the battery</b>. Check all module connections to the controller. Remove the module and reinstall. Power the controller back up. The microprocessor will recognize all modules.
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

tkbryant

Wednesday, December 28th 2005, 2:20pm

Thanks. I had read the manual and did make sure to remove the battery.

Today I tried it again. However, this time, I had removed 2 of the 3 wires (zones 4 and 5 - since I moved them to the base module so that I could water). And I noticed that I now had zones 4 and 5 available.

Naturally, I removed the last wire and cycled power to the controller -- all zones on that module (4-6) became available.
So it seems that if I remove the wires the zones are recognized. Is this normal or is it possible to have the wiring wrong? (It has been controlling the pump and valves correctly for many months now.)

Any ideas on why it would seemingly spontaneously "loose" zones 4-6?

Thanks again,
Tim

lush96

Advanced Member

Sunday, March 19th 2006, 7:44pm

interesting problem. you may have a fried module. maybe not. make sure when you snap the module in you move the lock on to lock the modules in place. also there is a reset button on the back of the panel. use a pen and push it in and hold for 5 seconds while the power is on. i am assuming that zones 4-6 work when you move them to 1-3. if so then it is not the wiring. try what i have recommended if you havnt already. if it doesnt work try putting the module in 7-9, or 10-12 slots. if it works you will just have to program your timer to skip 4-6. if it doesnt work.......you module is fried and get a new one. hope this helps.

lush96

Advanced Member

Sunday, March 19th 2006, 7:49pm

also.....hunter pro-c is a very nice and feature rich timer but it is very delicate. my company has been using them exclusivley for around 4 years now and any little miswiring and such can make it go wacky. to be honest......the "rain dial" by irritrol was the timer we had been using before then and are great timers with no modules. the idea that it is cheaper to just install a module is great but i personally prefer the irritrol. another irritrol timer that is awesome is called the "total control" best timer i have worked with in 15 years of full time irrigation.

Rate this thread