You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

1958tub

Starting Member

Monday, December 26th 2005, 4:42pm

Pie Shaped Yard and Sidewald

I live in a culdesac and have pie shaped yard. In my front, I have a strip of grass between the curb and the sidewalk that is 2 feet deep and only 8 feet wide.

I have read the discussion on whether it is proper design not to water across the sidewalk. Since this is such a small section, would you still agree not to water across the sidewalk?

I'm looking at two options.

A) Put the sray head at the curb end of the yard and spray towards the house (about 20')across the sidewalk.

B) Put the spray heads inside the sidewalk and spray towards the house.

Which would be prefered? If I go with option B, what type of heads should be used in the small strip to minimize the water on the sidewalk?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, December 27th 2005, 3:43am

When the sidewalk and curb are curved, there is no proper design to water only the grass strip. Even if they weren't curved, it would still be commonplace to toss the water over the sidewalk, since water landing on the walk will mostly run off onto the lawn. Proponents of "perfect design" will insist on separate spray heads for the sidewalk strip, but some strips are not a convenient size or shape, and trees and posts can interfere with their layout.

Tom

Supreme Member

Thursday, December 29th 2005, 12:14pm

Why not install some combo of rock/mulch/plants?

radical

Sunday, March 5th 2006, 9:49am

I agree with Tom. Then just run some drip and relax.
Richard Kersten

S&R Sprinkler Systems and Landscaping, Inc.
Destin, Florida

lush96

Advanced Member

Sunday, March 19th 2006, 6:41pm

put one hunter 4 by 28 ft spray head at the curb and directly centered. this head sprays 4 ft straight out and 14 ft to either side. you can then adjust it down with the included hunter adjustment key to spray less. problem solved. i guess these other experts never heard of this head. its very popular. toro also makes a version as does every sprinkler head company in the world. you do need to go under the sidewalk though. but its a no brainer.

Tom

Supreme Member

Monday, March 20th 2006, 9:59am

You can not adjust a strip nozzle down to a 2' x 8' strip and expect it to keep its adjustment every time that particular zone comes on. Hunter and Rainbird recommend a maximum radius reduction of 25%.

lush96

Advanced Member

Monday, March 20th 2006, 5:37pm

sure you can if you know what you are doing. but even if it overlaps a bit it still beats a half circle head anyday as far as water loss is concerned. next.

lush96

Advanced Member

Monday, March 20th 2006, 5:44pm

again tom responds with NO SOLUTION to the problem. thank god he doesnt work for me

BSME

Advanced Member

Tuesday, March 21st 2006, 2:50am

lush... I think there is a more constructive way to criticize Tom...

although you can turn those nozzles down... I've found that when you turn them down too much they become finiky and might shutoff when the water is turned on

Tom

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 21st 2006, 6:49am

see lush96, bsme realizes the problem.........

lush96 states "again tom responds with NO SOLUTION to the problem. thank god he doesnt work for me"

did you read the entire post up above?, i recommended not watering such a small area..........but if one must, how about netafim?

Rate this thread