You are not logged in.

big_gus

Wednesday, January 4th 2006, 2:25pm

Fertigation vs. Organic?

I just ripped out my lawn and now planting a new one as well as installing irrigation. I'd like to try to be as organic as possible, however, I live in So Cal and my soil is horrible. I had to fertilize quite a bit with the old lawn just to keep it green.

I've excavated and added sand and compost in huge quantities over the last year...

Given the new soil, do you think that it will be possible to keep a green lawn with just organic methods[?]

Which Fertigation product is most efficient with the non-organic fertilizers[?]

Do any of the Fertigation products use organic technology?

Thanks,

big_gus

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 12:24pm

Thank you Guru,

I've read on a few sites that using liquid organics in irrigation sometimes causes stuff to clog and that very small amounts of Chlorine gas can help clean out the system. Do you know anything about this? Is there a solid form of chlorine I can use (like for a pool)? Chlorine gas is very dangerous stuff and I'm not sure about the application. Do you know if this would adversely affect the lawn? I've read that 1ppm is safe for the municipal water systems but will this be enough to clean my system?

Thanks,

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 12:46pm

First off, depending on where you live, you might want to check into dispersing fertilizer through your sprinkler system, some cities and townships don't allow it, and some require a special use permit. As for the Chlorine, I would definitely check into weather or not your city or township allows that as well. I wouldn't suggest running any type of chemical through your irrigation system, except those fertilizers which are approved for it. If anything, the chlorine will break down the system components a lot faster than it would help things. There are certain types of fertilizers that can cause problems with your system, such as clogging it, simply stay away from them. Only use fertilizers that are approved and have been tested for use with fertigation. Check out Fertigators products at:
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=304

I have used these products, both organic and non organic, without any problems.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Rate this thread