You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

cooldown

Sunday, January 15th 2006, 7:44am

HELP!!!

I bought a house tha has a sprinkler system but no controller. I cant seem to get it working. I had a controller that I tried connecting but I can never get it right. I have 3 sets of wires. Each set has a red, white, blue, and gren wire. One of those sets has a yellow, and an orange wire. How would these wires connect?
<b></b><font size="5"></font id="size5">PLEASE HELP!!!

drpete3

Supreme Member

Monday, January 16th 2006, 5:17am

Do you know where the valves are? If so there is a common wore that goes to all valves. Connect that to the space on the controller that is labeled for common wire. The rest go into the different zones 1, 2, 3etc. Usuallt the common wire is white but not always. There could be a little more to this so let us know if that doesnt work
Thanks,

Pete

cooldown

Monday, January 16th 2006, 12:49pm

Does that mean that all three whit wires will go o the same connector and so on with the rest of the wires? or is each individual wire a station. I have 3 white, 3 green, 3 red, 3 blue, 1 orange and 1 yellow.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, January 17th 2006, 4:48am

Get some tape and mark each wire, so you can tell which of the fourteen wires are which. Then get a cheap multimeter, like from Radio Shack, and start taking resistance measurements between the wires, making a chart for each of the three cables. If the white wires are the commons, then the resistance from the other colors to white will be about the same, and the resistance from one of the other colors to another 'other' color will be about double.

It is customary to make the white wire(s) the common, because most any multi-conductor cable will have a white wire in it.

You may have three separate locations for the sprinkler valves, which would account for the three cables. Or, it might be that one valve location has more than six valves, and the installer used two multi-conductor cables to feed it.

cooldown

Tuesday, January 17th 2006, 3:23pm

so if the white wire is the common, then what would that make the orange and the yellow wire?

drpete3

Supreme Member

Wednesday, January 18th 2006, 6:21am

We dont know. have you looked at the valves? What can you tell us from that end? Or try using the multimeter. We cant guess on color alone.
Thanks,

Pete

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, January 19th 2006, 4:17am

Using the flagged wires and the multimeter, you can get an exact profile with around ninety-one resistance measurements, recorded on the 14x14 chart you make.

lush96

Advanced Member

Sunday, March 19th 2006, 5:56pm

you need me there to fix it. good luck.

Rate this thread