You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

oars69

Thursday, April 6th 2006, 9:44am

360 vs. Adjustable

I have a number of heads that need to rotate 360 degrees. Currently I have the Hunter adjustable heads that rotate 360 in one direction, stop and then reverse direction for another 360 degrees. Is there any advantage to replacing them with the 360 degree heads that (I assume) don't rotate back and forth?
Thanks.
-Jim

BSME

Advanced Member

Thursday, April 6th 2006, 11:32am

If you only run it for a couple of minutes the watering could be uneven because they are slow and could have favored one side.... if they are on for more than a couple minutes it shouldn't make a difference

Tom

Supreme Member

Friday, April 7th 2006, 4:03am

i thought the hunter adjustable would not rotate a full 360 degrees

oars69

Friday, April 7th 2006, 4:19am

Description says 40 to 360 degrees on the adjustables

oars69

Friday, April 7th 2006, 4:26am

The thought I had was that the 360 adjustables travel in one direction, then they stop for a short time, then they begin to move in the opposite direction, then get to the end of the 360 degree path and stop again before changing directions and so on and so on. I was thinking that the area of grass that is by the stop point would receive more water then the rest of the path. Make sense?
If that's not the issue, why does Hunter make the same head in a non-adjustable version? What is the benefit?

BSME

Advanced Member

Friday, April 7th 2006, 4:57am

a company I used to work for would use the 360 just because it saved timed when you are installing a lot of them... you don't have to set them when you install them or adjust later on

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, April 7th 2006, 5:36am

The original Hunter rotors had a friction clutch and fixed arcs of coverage. The 360s had extra reliability, because you could not strip the gears, or alter the arc, no matter what.

BSME

Advanced Member

Wednesday, April 12th 2006, 5:27am

that's a good point from boots... I've seen these gears stripped where they couldn't be adjusted anymore...

but if it's going to always be a 360 no matter what I still do not think it matters which one you use

Rate this thread