You are not logged in.

rkokoski

Thursday, April 13th 2006, 4:49am

New Install Need Expert Advice

<font face="Arial Black">OK, this can be long but I have some hopefully simple questions in order for me to finish my design. I am installing a new system in the Maryland area covering about 1 acre. I have my design pretty much finished but some simple questions.

1. In Maryland am I better off using PVC piping vs. Poly? I would think Poly is easier to install because of the flexibility but the PVC is stronger.

2. Should I be using ¾’’ or 1’’ for my piping of main lines and lateral lines? With my pressure (45 PSI) and max # heads/per zone (4 max, Rainbird 5004) I am thinking I am fine with ¾’’

3. I plan on using funny pipe with barb connections to connect my heads to the lateral lines. Any other thoughts or things to keep in mind here? Hints on connecting the pipe to the barbs to make sure they stay in?

4. With the funny pipe connections what is the max length I can extend the funny pipe? This will let me know how much flexibility I have in laying my lateral lines.

Thanks for any help and advice!!!

-RKokoski</font id="Arial Black">
Richard Kokoski

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 13th 2006, 4:19pm

To answer your first question, you are better off using poly pipe. Because you live in an area where freezing is a concern, poly pipe is the way to go. Also, PVC pipe can actually be weaker and more brittle than poly pipe. Depending upon who designed your system, and what the water pressure actually will be at the heads, I would suggest 1" pipe. I wouldn't usually ever go anything smaller than 1". 3/4" pipe will create friction, and friction equals pressure loss, which is something you can't afford to lose. As for the funny pipe, make sure you push the funny pipe onto the barbs fully, other than that, it should stay in place. With your pressure, I would say I wouldn't go more than a couple of feet with the funny pipe.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Rate this thread