You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

browntiger

Friday, April 14th 2006, 5:28am

Febco 765 1"

Is this just me or do they really suck.

Made of plastic parts on the inside,
our water pressure hit ~73 psi and febco exploded
catapulting bell (top part) about 10 ft.

Would Watts 1 800M4 FR be any better?

Thanks

BSME

Advanced Member

Friday, April 14th 2006, 11:21am

it probably had freeze damaage before you turned it on... I bet if you would have checked before hand it was already in pieces

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 15th 2006, 3:05am

I have found that the homeowners think it is the pressure that does this....ALMOST ALWAYS..they say "that new backflow valve you put in last spring exploded when I turned it on this spring"

Me: "Did you turn the system on after I winterized before today?"
Them: "NO...."
Me: "Really?"
Them: "Oh wait...I did turn it on back in February to water for about a week, but I turned it right back off"

Sigh.....

BSME is right....the freezed damage doesn't always show up when you look at it....then when you ratchet that first ball valve open as fast as you can...hint ;)....it blows the already cracked and disconnected parts pretty high and it is VERY dangerous"

Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

browntiger

Sunday, April 16th 2006, 3:50am

I admit, I did turned it on prior to last winter storm.

But ... I don't understand why that part is made of thin plastic?
I could understand if gasket leaked.

SprinklerWarehouse.com has the repair kit for about $49.

Plastic inside was so thin I see this happening again again....

So my question is Watts PVB plastiky on the inside?

Sould I just replace whole thing with RP

Tom

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 16th 2006, 6:15am

Its plastic so the whole dang thing doesn't break, although its fairly common for one of the ball valves to split.

You could also insulate the pvb.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Monday, April 17th 2006, 2:40am

it won't happen again and again if you don't let it freeze. They make an insulated cover that will help during shoulder months....but truthfully.....leave it off until the possibility of 2 or more freezing nights is gone.

They make the plastic so it will absorb the damage....$49 is much cheaper than paying somebody 175-200 for replacement.

Good luck..

To answer your question...I don't know about the Watts....but most PVBs will have some plastic "disposable" parts inside for the same reasons.
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 17th 2006, 3:43am

Any backflow preventer will break when it freezes. Leave the water turned off until it's absolutely safe.

browntiger

Tuesday, April 18th 2006, 9:42am

One can find RPZ Febco 860s for about $105 on internet

mburnickas

Thursday, May 11th 2006, 4:35am

I just replace the complete unit since it is cheaper then the parts. Parts are $20 to $35 or $48 online for the complete unit.

But the price on the 860’s (as you posted) is the same I can find. Good price.
Thanks
Mike
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!"--Airplane

Rate this thread