You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

pilotjohn

Saturday, April 15th 2006, 3:50pm

Sprinkler zones not coming on

I have 3 zones with Hunter SRV valves that will only come on when I turn the round knob to open. All other zones (5) work with the timer just fine. What could be wrong with 3 zones?
Thanks,
John
John

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Monday, April 17th 2006, 2:47am

Could be many things....

Are the 3 valves together in the same area...and away from the 5 that work?
How old?
Any digging lately in the yard?

The valves operate using 24 volts of AC current...sent through wires from the controller to the valves....the current opens the solenoid (the thing w/ wires on the top of the valve)....once the solenoid pin pulls up into the coil itself....water comes off the top of the rubber diaphragm in the valve allowing it to open and water.

most common problems:

Wires cut to solenoids
Bad solenoids (especially the first couple years of Hunter solenoids)
Bad diaphragms

The fact that you can turn them on manually...sorta makes me think bad solenoid, but not necessarily...more info please.

One test for the solenoids involves an ohm meter...auto ranging is easiest...have one? If so, go to the timer...set the multimeter on ohms....put one probe on the common wire in the timer..one probe on the station wire(s) in question...it should read between about 25 and 45..anything lower or higher, could be troubles. If no reading at all..wires are cut.

Let us know
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

pilotjohn

Monday, April 17th 2006, 4:02pm

Two are together in the same box, but one is in another box with one working and the other is not. No digging lately. Thanks
John

pilotjohn

Monday, April 17th 2006, 4:03pm

This is their third year of operation.
John
John

pilotjohn

Tuesday, April 18th 2006, 4:17pm

Found the Problem. When I took a VOM to the 3 circuits it read all 0's. I traced the wired and put new grease wing nut fittings on them. These are the good expensive ones at about $1 each. I have surmised that the original installer did a terrible job of wire connection at the solonoid wires. He used cheap grease wire nuts. This solved the problem. I will now redo all the solenoid wires.
Thanks much for your advise.
John
John

Rate this thread