You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Jkm

Sunday, April 23rd 2006, 3:36am

Mechanical Sequensing Valve

We have a water sourced heat pump open loop.
I am going to install a lawn watering system to use the water we presently dump.
In this case the off/on control would be the thermostat for the air conditioning. Each time it comes on the valve sequences to the next zone.
There used to be available mechanical valves that would automatically sequence to the next zone. Are these still available? I have not been able to locate one.
Would also appreciate any sage advice on this.
We are in N Indiana and the water source is well water.
Km

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 23rd 2006, 1:39pm

You would want what is called an 'indexing valve'

http://www.k-rain.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=indexingVlvs.indxvlvs&CFID=18685091&CFTOKEN=81039284

Jkm

Monday, April 24th 2006, 3:10am

Thanks W Boots for the timely response and link.
The next question is can these valves be placed in series?
I need more than six zones.

Also, I do not understand the function of the cam.

Six Outlet, 1 1/4" x 1" Models
4600 No Cam
4602 Cammed for 2 Zone Operation
4603 Cammed for 3 Zone Operation
4604 Cammed for 4 Zone Operation
4605 Cammed for 5 Zone Operation
4606 Cammed for 6 Zone Operation

Can these be field changed or do you have to order them with specific cam?

What is the function of the no cam?

Thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 24th 2006, 4:26am

The indexing valve can't work with one of the outlets closed, so you specify it with the exact number of zones you will have, and the cam that comes installed inside the valve will sequence it for the desired number of zones. I think there are some 8-zone indexing valves. http://www.fimcomfg.com/valve.html Beyond that, I don't know. There is a type of valve known as a 'toggle valve' that handles one zone at a time, so you'd buy one for each zone of your system. I don't know if they're on the market yet. And more importantly, I don't know if they'd be compatible with your particular situation, where the time interval between zones isn't known. Can you redesign your sprinkler system to have fewer zones? You can't plumb the indexing valves in series, for more zones.

tviles

Monday, April 24th 2006, 12:42pm

OK stupid question time from a DIY'r. I can add a zone to a zone with this valve? Example - by telling the controller to run zone 2 twice the second time would sequence the valve to run water thru a newly installed zone? Can this valve be buried? I have rotors that spray on the south side of the house but would like to add sprays up closer to the house for bushes.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 24th 2006, 1:08pm

Water the bushes with (extra-heavy-flow) drip irrigation tied to the rotor line. Rainbird makes an 'retrofit' adapter that lets you tap into any line, or even a 1800 popup spray head, which gives you filtered, pressure-regulated water, up to four gallons per minute. Forget the indexing valves, unless you absolutely need them for your application.

tviles

Monday, April 24th 2006, 2:14pm

Thanks for the reply and I understand what you are telling me to do, but I have three rotors on a ½" poly line @ 40psi. Do I understand the function of the index valve?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 24th 2006, 2:32pm

Indexing valves are a sort of Florida thing, and not so popular in colder weather. They may need dismantling every winter. It's not a thing you use unless there is no other choice. In your own case, digging in a new line would be the proper thing to do, since a 1/2 inch line should never be used to feed rotor heads. The original poster has a genuine application for an indexing valve. You, on the other hand, have many other ways to get water to the shrubs. Also, you may not have enough water flow to operate an indexing valve, on a 1/2 inch line.

Jkm

Tuesday, April 25th 2006, 7:19am

<font size="5"></font id="size5"><font face="Arial"></font id="Arial">
Thanks again W Boots for the info.
See that the Firmco link does offer an eight position indexing valve.
I have not laid the system out yet but probably can do it with eight zones.

The present system runs about 9 gpm limited mostly by about 50 ft of inside 3/4 inch pvc plumbing. The pump is a 1/3 hp 10 gpm series submerged pump pumping from 40 ft down static water table. It supplies water to the heat pump only. Another pump in the same well handles the domestic water. It is well installed and working. I do not want to change that part.

If I make this change I will change the 3/4 inch pvc to larger but probably still will not get much more than 8 to 9 gpm to the sprinkler system. The indexing valve is rated at 10 gpm minimum. Should I go ahead and hope the valve will work on 8 to 9 gpm?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 25th 2006, 2:30pm

It looks like you would have to use their special low-flow parts, which they can supply, in exchange for the standard components. Those have a 6 gpm minimum. If you note their distributor page, they are selling to the Florida market, and to some home centers. You could always contact them and ask what your cold weather will mean so far as performance and maintainence go. I kind of have my doubts about being able to winterize a sprinkler system through one of those indexing valves.

Rate this thread