You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

SteveH

Sunday, April 23rd 2006, 9:22am

Leaking Valve

This is probably a stupid question, but how do I take apart a 1" sprinkler valve to get inside and figure out why it is leaking?

I noticed a leak in a sprinkler head and have determined that the 1" Irritol valve in my control box for that zone is letting water seep through. From reading other posts on this site, I understand that I should take the valve apart and look for debris or replace the parts inside, but I'm stumped on how to take the valve apart. The two bottom parts of the valve are connected to pipe, so I can't unscrew the whole valve at one time. Is there a way to take the top off of the valve? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks very much for any help!

Steve

SteveH

Sunday, April 23rd 2006, 9:38am

Ok--

I figured out that the top part of each side of the valve unscrews. Now my problem is that I can't unscrew one of the sides. I was using an adjustable wrench but it was just tearing the ridges on the sides apart. Any advice on what tool to use to get the top off, or tips to make it easier?

Thanks,

Steve

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 23rd 2006, 10:09am

Got a part number on that valve? If it's something like 713DPR, then there are no special tools - just slip-joint pliers and your own strength. There is a Vise-Grips pliers that might work for you, with jaws that will give good contact, not that I've ever needed it for those valves. I got a pair of them at Home Depot.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Monday, April 24th 2006, 2:53am

Sometimes they can be a bugger....GIANT CHANNEL LOCKS....if the valve is buried it will be tough. I use a towel on the hard to get at ones...also what works nice is those vinyl jar opener things that they sell all over the place in the kitchen areas etc. One thing that can happen is you squeeze the retainer ring too tightly putting a bind on it and it won't loosen ever....so don't squeeze too hard w/ the channel locks.

2400 Irritrol valve?
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 24th 2006, 3:21am

I hope it isn't buried, since it's an antisyphon valve.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Monday, April 24th 2006, 12:54pm

Yeah..because we've never seen that before eh?

I missed the part about the "bottom two parts" being connected.....my bad.

Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Rate this thread