You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

diane

Starting Member

Sunday, April 23rd 2006, 11:14am

hunter vs rainbird bids, lake pumps

I have two quotes and was wondering if I could get some input from some pros. First one involves hunter pgps, hunter src controller and a flint and walling 2hp pump. The other bid is for rainbird 1804 and rotary head, a rainbird esp 8 station controller and a 2hp Myers lake pump.
Thanks
D

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 23rd 2006, 11:33am

Apples and oranges, once you hear from everyone. Pumps are a more regional thing, depending on local support. I would choose a Goulds pump, because of their construction, and ability to hold their prime.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 23rd 2006, 2:29pm

I am going to have to say that Rainbird is always a good choice for lake systems. The Rainbird valves tend to fair better with dirty water applications, as well as their rotor heads. As far as pumps, I agree with Wetboots, I like the Goulds pump.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 23rd 2006, 3:33pm

One thing about the pumps is to consider whether to use a shallow-well jet pump, like a Goulds JS15, or a simpler utility pump, like the ones I assume are part of the original quotes, since Myers' largest jet pump is a one horsepower model. The jet pumps create more useful water flow, useful because it is at a higher water pressure than a utility pump can manage. The jet pumps cost more, however, but compensate by using less energy over their lifespan, and often, the higher pressures can make for simpler system designs.

eecliff

Saturday, June 10th 2006, 8:46pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RidgeRun05</i>
<br />I am going to have to say that Rainbird is always a good choice for lake systems. The Rainbird valves tend to fair better with dirty water applications, as well as their rotor heads. As far as pumps, I agree with Wetboots, I like the Goulds pump.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Whether you choose Rainbird, Toro or Irritrol valves the best insurance is to choose a good filter. I'v seen lots of rotors (including Rainbird) quit turning in the first two years without good filtration.As far as filter maintenance, that depends on the lake water quality.Filters may have to be cleaned anywhere from twice a week to twice a year.
I also agree that Goulds pump is one of the better pumps.

ee.....

Rate this thread