You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rkokoski

Wednesday, April 26th 2006, 9:47am

Valves to Poly Connect Question

I am installing a new sprinkler system as a DIY. I've been reading about (as well as studying and asking questions) for months now so I'm going to give it a try. I live in the Maryland area and the gist of what I hear is:

1. Use Poly piping vs. PVC because of the cold weather
2. Use 1'' vs. 3/4'' with 48psi at 8gpm since I have to 300ft runs and want want to add additional friction
3. Use funny pipe & barb connections to hook up heads (Rainbird 5004)

So here are my remaining questions

1. What is the best way to hook up poly ends to my valves? I am thinking threaded poly ends to a female thread valve. Correct?
2. What is the MAX length I should have for a funny pipe hookup to a head? Most will be 1ft or so but I have some I could really use 5-7 ft for flexiblity
3. Can I take a lateral line running a zone and split it up? i.e. 5ft, T it with 2 heads (4 heads total) to each T run or should I keep it all a single line?

Thanks!

Richard K
rkokoski@foxdentechllc.com

Richard Kokoski

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 27th 2006, 1:50am

1: Yes...or Female x Poly adapter and a male threaded valve...or a valve with male poly barb...

2: I will get shot for this, but during repairs I have been known to go over 10' with poly. When I perform a new installation I keep it to 1-2 feet or max of 5 feet...not because of any design issues, just because I can get the lateral lines within 5 feet usually. I don't think it hurts to have 10 feet of poly....just me.

3: Yes
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Rate this thread