You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

andrewikon

Thursday, April 27th 2006, 8:28am

Air Gap and Strainer

According to our village requirements along with RPZ I need to install in-line strainer
and air gap. I'm thinking about Febco 3/4" 860 RPZ model. What is the in-line strainer and what is air gap? Why do I need them? Are there any special things I have to know about them? Can I buy it with RPZ at www.sprinklerwarehouse.com or I need to go to local plumbing shop?
Thanks,
Andrew

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 27th 2006, 1:25pm

Air gaps are for inside installs, so you can run any dribbling water into a drain line. The strainer is a form of insurance, to stop debris from messing up the works.

andrewikon

Friday, April 28th 2006, 2:46am

So strainer suppose to be installed right after RPZ where pipe goes outside?
Is there need for Air Gap if my RPZ installed outside of my house?
Thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, April 28th 2006, 3:08am

Strainer comes before the RPZ, and yes, you can get an RPZ with a brass strainer already installed on it. Personally, if I had to have a strainer, I'd special-order one with a 100 mesh screen, and really protect the RPZ (and sprinkler system, too) from any debris.

Air gaps are for connections to a drain line, and you don't have a drain line when an RPZ is installed outdoors.

Rate this thread