You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

DOORZ

Advanced Member

Saturday, April 29th 2006, 1:46am

Febco or Watts

I need to get a Reduced Pressure backflow, and I was looking at either the Febco or Watts. I can purchase a 1" Watts locally or I can buy the 1" Febco at Sprinklerwarehouse.

The 1" Watts I can buy locally is the same model number they sell at Sprinklerwarehouse.

Is one any better than the other? Does you guys have a prefernce?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 29th 2006, 3:33am

I've seen the Watts 009 series fail to operate correctly (relief valve dripping) on low pressures. For those applications, a Febco 825Y is probably the champ, even though I have to partially dismantle them every fall when I winterize a system. http://www.bwpipe.com/back_f1.jpg Note the larger relief valve diaphragm, giving it much more force to keep it from leaking from the relief valve.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 29th 2006, 4:41am

I have a client that wants me to change out her 825 w/ an RP without the giant flange....she has never winterized, just drained herself...and she is tired of doing the bolts each year....her flange is warped...and she has to tighten the bolts all the time. I mentioned that to her...also mentioned we could replace the flange only...and I could winterize "properly" each year....and she wouldn't have that problem....

The solution it seems, according to a supply house, is to install the new Watts 009....the backflow guy at my supplier seems to like it...any thoughts wet boots? Less chance of warpage you think? Easier winterizing?
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 29th 2006, 5:58am

I have been able to blow out a system though a 009 (low-pressure truck-mount compressor) and not bother with any disassembly. For a DIYer not using any compressor, I don't know. I would have my doubts. In any event, the warped 825Y indicates freeze damage, from ice, so I wouldn't trust the homeowner to properly deal with it. There's always those union-mount RPZs, so one can just take the whole thing indoors.

DOORZ

Advanced Member

Saturday, April 29th 2006, 12:15pm

I was looking at what they carry here, since I figured these were pretty standard. So I was looking at comparing the Febco 860 versus the Watts 009. Is one of these prefered over the other, or should I really be looking for a 825?

I can get the Watts 009 locally at Lowes for a little less than the Febco 860 sold here, which was the original reason for asking. Initially I was planning on getting a Febco 860 online until I was looking for other items at Lowes and saw the Watts 009.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 29th 2006, 2:50pm

The RPZs you saw were newer designs, that cost less to manufacture. That doesn't mean they're more reliable. It might just bad luck that had the 009s I recently worked with dripping from the relief valves. But I do know for a fact that the force that holds the relief valve shut is proportional to the area of the diaphragm. The Febco 825Y has the largest diaphragm. I have not used the 860 yet.

xpedient

Sunday, June 25th 2006, 7:30pm

825Y will be perfect
Xpedient Irrigation Inc. is a locally owned company that delivers solutions to all your sprinker system needs.
We service both residential and light commercial customers.

We offer: Complete installations
All types of Repairs
Summer start-ups
Evaluation of coverage
Troubleshooting
Pressure loss
Vacuum breaker repair
Drip/Low-Pressure Irrigation Installation and Repair
and Much More!

If you would like free consultation or advice for your property, please feel free to contact us with any questions!

Call or email us now to schedule your summer-start up!

http://www.highlandsranch.com/class/display.html?id=3537

Rate this thread