You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

DOORZ

Advanced Member

Monday, May 1st 2006, 5:11pm

Blowout

In searching through messages I see conflicting information on where to install the blowout for the system. Some posts say to place the blowout before the vac breaker, and others after.

I am also wondering what people do if they installl unions to be able to remove the vac breaker in the winter months. Since it doesn't seem that they make caps for unions, do people leave the pipes open ended for the winter, or is something else done. I would be kind of leary about leaving my mainline open for the winter months.

If it makes any difference I am going to be installing a RPZ valve.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 1st 2006, 5:32pm

I am also leery about open lines (open drains are okay) and prefer to do what it takes to make sure water doesn't remain to freeze.

Putting the blowout after the RPZ has been the customary arrangement. Some of the newer ones are more easily blown out through the RPZ, without the relief valve opening up.

DOORZ

Advanced Member

Tuesday, May 2nd 2006, 3:13am

I figure if I get the water out of the RPZ, then I wont have to worry about it freezing and damaging the unit, thus avoiding having to install unions at the RPZ.

If the blowout is installed after the RPZ, what do you do about clearing the water out of the RPZ for the winter months?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 1:58am

You follow the manufacturer instructions. If you have an outdoor meter pit, with room in the pit to tee off to the sprinkler system, you'd include a drain valve in your plumbing.

Rate this thread