You are not logged in.

Friday, May 5th 2006, 4:44am

Leaking Valve?

I have noticed a rotor head in one of my zones that leaks a little bit of water...noticable by a wet spot around that head. After turning on the system this spring, the valve controlling that zone did not close completely, and wet spot around te other two heads in that zone where wet. This was corrected after I manually opened and closed the valve in the ground. However, the one head still seams to leak a little water.

How do I investigate this?? or do I need a new valve?? The system was installed in 2004.

Thanks,

Bill

scotteman

Starting Member

Tuesday, May 9th 2006, 11:58am

I am having the same problem, I believe the zone valve is leaking so I will investigate further to see if I need a new diaphram or can flush the zone any dirt etc. I have have rainbird dvf control valves what are you using?

harleydumonde

Starting Member

Tuesday, May 30th 2006, 4:36am

I'm pretty inexperienced with sprinklers other than adding sprinkler heads and replacing them. I have a Hunter sprinkler system and over the past 2 years I've had 1 head leaking but it never looked as if the head was the problem. Finally after turning on and off the main water supply valve to prevent the sprinkler head from leaking when not in use, I needed to activate the system and when doing so, I could hear the 1st valve in my 3 zone system attempting to activate but the sprinkler heads in zone 1 would not push out of the ground. If I go to the box where the valves are located and manually adjust a large screw on top of the valve for zone 1, the sprinklers activate and the following 2 zones activate as they should after the programmed time limit is reached.

It is my conclusion with my limited knowledge (dart throw in the dark), that the valve for zone 1 is the cause of my leak mentioned above and needs to be replaced, repaired or adjusted. Can you assist in knowledge here or guide me in any way?
Harley DuMonde

Friday, June 2nd 2006, 10:55am

[:)]I investigated the valve to the zone and found some debris in the valve diaphragm. After cleaning the valve no leaks have occurred.

Thanks,

Bill

Rate this thread