You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Julia J

Sunday, May 7th 2006, 10:18am

Replacing Short pop-ups with tall pop-ups

I have an area with mature plantings that although they were designed with the spray of the heads in mind the ground cover is now too high for heads that pop up 3 inches. 12 inch pop ups would do quite nicely. I'm new to this. What is involved? I would like to know what to expect before I tear up the nice ground cover. I assume the pipe will not be much lower than the 3 inches of the pop up. Is there a trick of flexable pipe or something to go alongside and below the piping to twelve inches? Are there telescopic pop-ups? If not why not? The planting is a mound, ideally the heads would shoot up as well as out. Really, I would just like to buy a magic wand but I'm not that good of a witch.

Tom

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 7th 2006, 3:54pm

you can use swing pipe from your existing pipe fitting to the 12" pop-up. you will however need to dig a deep hole for the body of the pop-up.

Hit makes a telescoping 13" pop-up head

Julia J

Tuesday, May 9th 2006, 9:31am

Thanks for the reply and advice Tom. I will go to the hardware store and ask the help to show me swing pipe.

jlease

Wednesday, May 17th 2006, 10:33am

Dig down to the pipe, make sure there are no pipes or wires below that, then take a 4' piece of 1" sch 40 pvc and a rubber mallet put one end of the pvc where you want the pop-up to be and pound the pipe into the ground as deep as you need, pull the pipe back out and you have your pop-up hole. Dirt can be removed from pipe by stout screwdriver or beating on a fence post.

Rate this thread