You are not logged in.

troost

Starting Member

Saturday, May 13th 2006, 8:55am

Rotor heads don't go down

We have a six year old Nelson 6000 system and some of the heads do not retract. Is there a special kind of lube we should use on the rotors?

Tom

Supreme Member

Monday, May 15th 2006, 4:04am

grit probably got into the rotor seal. you can take the head out of the body to check and flush out the debris. otherwise replace

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 15th 2006, 6:22am

Whether cleaning or replacing, make sure the top of the heads is slightly above grade, so that dirt isn't always grinding away at the head when it pops up and retracts. It doesn't take too many years for a lawn to 'build up' and make the heads too low.

Spider

Tuesday, June 13th 2006, 11:24am

<font face="Comic Sans MS"></font id="Comic Sans MS"><font size="4"></font id="size4">[black][/black

I have the same problem with my Nelson 6000, sprinkler heads. I have 21 of them, and at least 17 of them, don't go down when the water is turned off. I know they are very old, but what I did was, I cleaned a 4 to 5 inch area, all around each one. Then wiped each one down with clean rag, and plain clean water. When I watered the next time, a little over half of them still stayed up.

What I did, and this was recommended to me, by a friend, who works building golf courses. First, I checked each one again, to make sure it was clean. Then I generously, wiped each one down, using a cheap vegetable oil. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I think it's worth a try, but hey, if it don't work I can always go ahead and purchase new ones, right?

Spider

Friday, July 14th 2006, 12:04pm

In response to the problem "Troost" is having, I had the same problem and here's is what I did to fix it:

I pulled up, and throughly cleaned each sprinkler head with clean water.

Then I soaked a clean rag with a cheap brand of vegetable oil and slathered the oil all over the sprinkler head. The next time I watered, about two thirds of my sprinkler heads retracted like they are supposed to. So, once again, I pulled up every one of them, and generously sprayed them with WD-40.

I watered today, and as each sprinkler head turned off, it also retracted as it should. So, as of now my problems is solved.

Spider
I think the key to it is keeping a 1 foot diameter area around each sprinkler hear clean and clear of grass, weeds and everything else.

Spider

Thursday, September 14th 2006, 4:53pm

I have told everyone what I tried to do to get my sprinkler heads to go down after watering. First the vegetable oil, then with the WD40. Well, it seems as though that wouldn't fix some of my sprinkler heads. So I ended up ordering ten new ones. Everytime one stays up, after watering, I just go ahead and replace it. They are so easy to replace that I found out it's well worth the time (about twenty minutes including the adjustment) and effort, and it saves you alot of money, when you consider what a Sprinkler System Contractor charges you for coming out. By the way, if you do order new ones, it really helps when you follow the directions in the shipping box, ha! ha! I know from experience. I have replaced three sprinkler heads so far, and the new ones work great.

Rate this thread