You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jeff262

Sunday, May 21st 2006, 5:50pm

forced to use a chain trencher

ok i have tried to use a vib plow but my yard is mostly clay and the plow actually does pull just fine but i can't dig with the shovel to get to the lines since the clay is so thick and heavy. i an now going to use a chain trencher so i was curious if clay will settle like dirt does and if there is any way of making the settling not so bad, i have used one before and the trenches fell bad after 6 months but that was in a dirt/sand mixture. thanks jeff

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 22nd 2006, 4:27am

If the lines are installed, stay with them. Use a pickaxe or a mattock to dig down to the lines. You could even use a soaker hose to soften up the ground in spots.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, May 22nd 2006, 10:34am

Based on my experience, you'll get settling in clay. Now in a 2 foot x 4 inch trench, I've been able to limit settling to about 1/2" by tamping the soil back into the trench in layers.

Rate this thread