You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Zuke

Tuesday, May 23rd 2006, 7:16pm

Question on watering schedule

So, I've calculated to get 1.5" of water on my lawn, it would require roughly 90 minutes of watering on any one zone. I have four zones. Is it better to break it up to 12 minutes once a day (early morning) or to do a 90 minute run once a week?

I understand the idea of letting the soil dry out between waterings, but 12 minutes of watering shouldn't put so much water it can't dry within 24 hours, right?

drpete3

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 25th 2006, 4:00am

Depending on drainage of your soil my opinion would be to water 2-3 times a week. Unless you have heavy clay and poor drainage.
Thanks,

Pete

Tom

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 25th 2006, 9:22am

you have to know the soil type and from there we can answer your question

Zuke

Thursday, May 25th 2006, 10:09pm

Hard, unfriendly, and uneducated.

I'm in Salt Lake City. The fastest possible history lesson I could give is this; there used to be this huge body of water called Lake Bonneville. Then it dried up, leaving the Great Salt Lake. Then people moved in.

As a result, what isn't gravel in the valley is clay-ish. I can't get a screwdriver more than 1.5" into the soil without watering first. After watering, I can get it in 2.5"

drpete3

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 30th 2006, 9:55am

It sounds as if you fave pretty poor drainage. the goal of watering is to get the water too the roots without having alot of run off and evaporation. Also over watering and standing water can be just as harmful. For an established lawn I would suggest every other day watering. My suspicion is that youlll probalbly be best off waterin 1x per day. Overall it will be easier for you to boserve over watering with pooling water and runoff than watering too little. remember addep soaking of the roots is best.
Thanks,

Pete

Rate this thread