You are not logged in.

psnook

Sunday, May 28th 2006, 7:45am

Transformer

We had an SRC Plus (9-station) Hunter system installed about 2 years ago. We live in Georgia and are prone to some pretty good electrical storms. According to the guy that installed our system, these storms keep blowing out our transformer. We had to replace it three times and currently can't find one so we're having to manually use our system. It's my understanding that this model has a built in primary power surge protection so why do we keep blowing out our transformers? The company that installed our system is now out of business so we're not sure where to turn for help. We have purchased a surge protector to see if that will help but we need to find another transformer to test in the next big storm. I think the controller is okay because it still comes on with a battery.

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 29th 2006, 3:35am

How many zones do you have? Have you tested the system wiring for any bad solenoids? You can still buy ($$$) old-style motor-driven controllers, and avoid the problems that electrical surges cause. Any 24VAC control transformer can power the SRC.

psnook

Monday, May 29th 2006, 4:14pm

We have 7 zones. Have no clue how to test the system wiring for bad solenoids. Can you help me out there? Good to know I can get an adapter anywhere. The guy that installed our system told us we could only use a "Hunter" transformer.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 30th 2006, 5:46am

The point in using a Hunter transformer is that it can't supply enough power to burn out the controller circuitry. The same sort of control transformer that powers most home thermostats has twice the power. (but has the same 24VAC output voltage)

Get a small electrical test meter, at Radio Shack, maybe. Their cheapest VOM will do. You will be taking resistance measurements between each zone wire and the common wire. Label all the wires. Disconnect the zone wires before taking the measurememnts.

psnook

Sunday, June 18th 2006, 4:04pm

What am I looking for when taking resistance measurements? I guess my question really is, how will I know the difference between bad and good? What is normal?

Regarding the transformer, I'm not really understanding what you are saying. You said the Hunter transformer can't supply enough power to burn out the controller circuitry. If I find another that has twice the power but the same 24VAC output voltage, will I then be at risk of burning out the controller circuitry?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, June 18th 2006, 4:57pm

Have you use this forum's search function yet? Most of these questions have been asked and answered already.

Hunter's transformer is sized so that, in the event of the solenoid and/or wiring becoming a dead short, the full power (current) of the transformer will still not be enough to damage the internal circuitry. The transformer's internal fuse will burn out first. That won't be the case with a control transformer with a 40 VA rating powering a SRC running into a dead short.

psnook

Monday, June 19th 2006, 2:12pm

Thanks for all your help and yes I did try to use the Forum Search and didn't really find anything helpful. Maybe just not looking in the right place. Anyway, I think you've given us enough information that we'll be able to figure it out. Thanks again for your patience!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 19th 2006, 3:19pm

Searches require good keywords and good spelling. See what words like 'solenoid' 'resistance' 'meter' get you

There is a point where you just call the repairman and write a check.

Rate this thread