You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bhype23

Thursday, June 1st 2006, 7:45pm

Drip System Question

We bought our house with a drip system installed which services about 12 lines to existing plants. Everything is in working order.

We added a plant next to an existing plant that had its own drip line. I added a barbed Tee connector to split the existing drip line so that the new plant would have a line as well. My problem is that it appears the water is only coming through one or the other split line, but not both at the same time. Is there a way I can get the water to flow through each of these at a equal rate? Will increasing water pressure at the Rainbird valve help (is it possible to increase water pressure??)?

Thanks for the help!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, June 2nd 2006, 4:26am

Each water outlet requires its own emitter.

bhype23

Friday, June 2nd 2006, 6:56am

Wet_Boots, thanks for the reply. I'm not educated enough about the design/layout of the drip line system either so I have another question for you.

Where are the emitters located? How many emitters are supported on each valve?

Thanks again and sorry to bore you with these simple questions.[:D]

bhype23

Friday, June 2nd 2006, 7:55am

Okay after a few minutes looking at emitters online, correct me if I'm wrong, the emitter is the end piece of the drip line that dispenses the water. Is that correct? My current drip system does not have emitters, it is only 1/4" tube with an open end that releases the water.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, June 2nd 2006, 11:41am

True drip irrigation has emitters. Emitters are what allow only a tiny flow of water to pass through them. Once that flow is controlled, it goes straight to the plant. No tee fittings, to try to split the flow. Whatever you have (12 times over) that feeds one plant, you need a 13th. Usually, that consists of an emitter, and some tubing, and often a cap on the end of the tubing, to keep insects out.

bhype23

Friday, June 2nd 2006, 2:33pm

Okay, so where are the emitters located? Underground? At the valve control (we have rain bird valves)?

Thanks again, we'll get through this sooner or later!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, June 2nd 2006, 3:36pm

http://www.google.com/search?hs=Suy&hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=%22drip+irrigation%22&btnG=Search

bhype23

Friday, June 2nd 2006, 7:43pm

So I have Multi-Outlet Emitters that come up off the main line using thin tubing. I need to locate the mainline underground, add an emitter and have the thin tubing come off the emitter up above the ground...great, more digging!

This is a diagram of what you were explaining which is different than what I have. I'm guessing the only difference is that mine is subterrainian and has the tubing coming off of the main line up above to the surface.

Rate this thread