You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

azjacket

Thursday, June 1st 2006, 7:46pm

Coverage Question

We recently moved into our house in Arizona. As the winter grass has died and bermuda started growing we noticed dry areas in several spots. We have 2 zones in backyard with spray heads. There is a mix of sprinkler brands -- it looks like the originals were hunter, and some were replaced with rainbird. One issue is that there are dry areas around the heads in center of lawn (water sprays far from nozzle but area right around nozzle not getting enough). The other issue is that it looks like the nozzles are 12ft on most of them -- but some of the heads are 13-14 ft apart. When the each zone is on, all of the heads are fully up so pressure seems good. Do you think the problem could be that i need 15 ft nozzles for some of the heads to fully cover adjacent sprinkler? Or is it bad to have "mix and match" of hunter and other brands? Other suggestions. I am a novice at this. I appreciate any help. Thank you

bobw

Advanced Member

Friday, June 2nd 2006, 3:26am

Mixing and matching brands really won't cause you any problems. There is very, very little functional difference between spray heads. 12 foot nozzles when you have 14 foot spacing will cause you to have some gaps in coverage, so I'd be changing out nozzles to 15' if pressure allows.

azjacket

Friday, June 2nd 2006, 4:13am

thanks. what is best way to ensure there is enoughh pressure before i put in 15 foot nozzles?

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Friday, June 2nd 2006, 11:57am

Just put them in...they cost about $1.50....no biggie.

Be aware, that it may not work right even afterwards.....many sprinkler systems are installed incorrectly, especially in areas where the building boom is rocking....everyone w/ a truck and a shovel is a sprinkler guy.
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Tom

Supreme Member

Friday, June 2nd 2006, 1:56pm

ditto on the 15' nozzles. you can also get the rainbird undercut nozzles that have an additional small orifice for close in watering. i'd also check the pressure at the sprinkler heads. ideally you want 30 psi. if you have 50 psi plus your still going to have problems when you change the nozzles.

azjacket

Saturday, June 3rd 2006, 9:42am

i put in the 15foot nozzles and it looks like i don't have enough pressure in one zone. zone 1 has 5 nozzles and that is fine, zone 2 has 7, the heads don't get fully up. what should i check to see what could be issue with pressure? i can't imagine the previous owners would have set it up this way without enough pressure originally. thanks

Tom

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 3rd 2006, 5:37pm

like sprinklerguy said you are probably exceeding the available water supply with the 15' nozzles you installed. which nozzles did you install in zone 2?

azjacket

Saturday, June 3rd 2006, 6:02pm

zone 2 is where the main problem was. that is where i put 15 foot nozzles.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Monday, June 5th 2006, 3:12am

Give us a run down of the heads.....7 heads....we need to know what all 7 nozzles are and we can tell what may be happening.

Where in Arizona? when I was there, it was very typical of most installers to install the entire system with 3/4 pvc....that means you have very little water available...is the water source a hosebibb off the back of the house? also very typical.....

If you are in the valley...I can refer you to a repair tech....
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

azjacket

Monday, June 5th 2006, 5:03am

here are the 7 heads.
4 hunter 15 foot adjustable
1 hunter 12 foot adjustable
2 rainbird 15 foot adjustable

i live in phoenix. the water source is hose bib on side of the house. it does look like 3/4inch. thanks for your help

Rate this thread