You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

savtong

Tuesday, June 13th 2006, 10:38am

Installing a master control valve

Hi, I'm planning to install a master control valve in the basement just before the main goes out of the basement wall.
My question is, would there be any problem installing the valve vertically as oppose to horizontally? I'm planning to install the
Hunter HPV-100 valve in a vertical position.

Thanks,
awin

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 13th 2006, 3:36pm

Where is the backflow preventer? You would be better off installing a master valve outside. That way, the system can be manually operated without needing to go into the house.

Also, the valve can be serviced without water pouring out of it into your basement.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 14th 2006, 9:04am

I believe that most valves don't care how they are oriented since they are working off electricity (selinoid) and water pressure.

savtong

Wednesday, June 14th 2006, 10:58am

the backflow preventer is located outside.
I'm planning to install this above the "T" leading to outside while the other end of the "T" leads down to the drain. So for servicing this master valve, I can just drain the water first.
I'm actually thinking of this setup that way my system is
"tamper proof" when the timer is off. The downside of this is that I will have to go to the basement and manually turning the system on if I have to do some testing...

Thanks for your feedback :)
awin

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 14th 2006, 1:51pm

(Indoor Master Valve = dumb idea) This equation stands now and forever. Tampering is rarely an issue. Lack of complete outdoor nobody-needs-to-be-home access is an issue. People do sell their homes. And new buyers don't appreciate being stuck at home waiting for the repairman because of some amateur installation.

Rate this thread