You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bobsalem

Monday, June 26th 2006, 5:33am

round Valve Cover locking device

I have a 10" round valve box..when it is closed, there is a hole that goes through the round flat top and the bottom...is there a locking/unlocking device that can lock the top to the bottom?

xpedient

Monday, June 26th 2006, 6:14am

What brand is it?
Xpedient Irrigation Inc. is a locally owned company that delivers solutions to all your sprinker system needs.
We service both residential and light commercial customers.

We offer: Complete installations
All types of Repairs
Summer start-ups
Evaluation of coverage
Troubleshooting
Pressure loss
Vacuum breaker repair
Drip/Low-Pressure Irrigation Installation and Repair
and Much More!

If you would like free consultation or advice for your property, please feel free to contact us with any questions!

Call or email us now to schedule your summer-start up!

http://www.highlandsranch.com/class/display.html?id=3537

bobsalem

Monday, June 26th 2006, 6:52am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by xpedient</i>
<br />What brand is it?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm not sure (the home is in SC and I am in MA now), but the hole is about 1/4" diameter, and goes straight through both parts (top & bottom) when properly closed. A padlock will not suffice because the top is flat and flush with the ground and this particular hole is about 1" inside the outer diameter. I could drive a screw into the hole but I am looking for something that is more of a deterrent.
thanks.

xpedient

Monday, June 26th 2006, 7:14am

Hmm..As far as I know- There is not a locking device. There are products for commercial sites that lock but they are much larger and are not made of plastic. Unless someone else here knows of solution, I would take grass clippings and dirt and cover the lid so it is not as visible.
Xpedient Irrigation Inc. is a locally owned company that delivers solutions to all your sprinker system needs.
We service both residential and light commercial customers.

We offer: Complete installations
All types of Repairs
Summer start-ups
Evaluation of coverage
Troubleshooting
Pressure loss
Vacuum breaker repair
Drip/Low-Pressure Irrigation Installation and Repair
and Much More!

If you would like free consultation or advice for your property, please feel free to contact us with any questions!

Call or email us now to schedule your summer-start up!

http://www.highlandsranch.com/class/display.html?id=3537

vmbray

Monday, June 26th 2006, 5:12pm

maybe a stainless security screw would work, you know the ones that have an allen hole with a little post to prevent the standard allen wrench? get a round head one that pliers won't work on, it's doubtful that anyone would go to the trouble to source the wrench I think...

bobsalem

Tuesday, June 27th 2006, 3:28am

Thanks...That security screw sounds about as close as I will be able to get to the right product...it seems that there is a market for this sort of thing...I'm not the only person with this exposure...

bobw

Advanced Member

Tuesday, June 27th 2006, 3:45am

Many valve boxes (including 10" rounds) can come with what is called a "lockable" lid. The lock is just an angled bolt that stops the lid from being lifted. It is turned into place with a wrench.

I would not, under any circumstances, bury a valve box so it can not be found. We put valve boxes around things for a reason... so we have access to items for service. Burying a box is a guarantee of future headaches.

To the orignal poster: Do you reason to be concerned with the possibility of someone with bad intentions opening the valve box? Just asking because in my years of professional experience, I've never once encountered a customer with an issue, including large scale commercial sites where vandalism is a concern in general.

bobw

Advanced Member

Tuesday, June 27th 2006, 3:45am

Many valve boxes (including 10" rounds) can come with what is called a "lockable" lid. The lock is just an angled bolt that stops the lid from being lifted. It is turned into place with a wrench.

I would not, under any circumstances, bury a valve box so it can not be found. We put valve boxes around things for a reason... so we have access to items for service. Burying a box is a guarantee of future headaches.

To the orignal poster: Do you reason to be concerned with the possibility of someone with bad intentions opening the valve box? Just asking because in my years of professional experience, I've never once encountered a customer with an issue, including large scale commercial sites where vandalism is a concern in general.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 27th 2006, 5:18am

If valve box security is such an issue, replace the round box with a Ametek rectangular box, which is made with locking snaps built into the lid. (which many installers routinely remove, because the boxes are a royal pain to open without the special tool they never seem to have handy)

bobsalem

Tuesday, June 27th 2006, 7:52am

For "bobw"......this valve box houses the main water to the house, not to an irrigation system. as the house is currently a second home, and we are almost 900 miles away, we are concerned that the water could be turned on by vandals and left running. while we haven't had an incident, I am trying to think ahead. For "Wet Boots"..... this is my first experience with valve boxes, but I would imagine the Ametek rectangular box would need to have part of its base go under the piping, is that not the case? If not, that would be a solution.

Rate this thread