You are not logged in.

Todd K

Monday, July 3rd 2006, 8:18am

Irrigation system questions?

Hi I'm new here and have been reading all the useful info found on this site. Now hope to get some answers from you fine people. I am in the process of getting quotes for a system. I have received about 6 so far and they range anywhere from 2700 to 5000. I have about 10,000 square feet to water.

All of the quotes have differing zones. The lowest is 5 zones with 20 rotors and 9 sprays. The highest is 8 zones with 31 rotors and 1 spray zone. Why would there be so many differing zones?

I live in Va and everyone says to use only PVC but I have one quote that says PVC for main lines and poly for everything else. A couple of the contractors say never to use Poly. But from everything I have read here it seems Poly would be fine. So any input from you guys would be great.

Thanks
Todd

Beartooth

Monday, July 3rd 2006, 7:42pm

Todd, First of all, throw out the three lowest quotes you have received. Now, see if the remaining three contractors are close to each other in both zones, heads, and price. As for the use of polyethylene pipe in your system, do not hesitate to use it as long as it comes with an ASTME rating of 100psi or greater and is NSF grade poly. Stay away from utility grade poly, it will become brittle after just a few years.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 4th 2006, 3:47am

About poly pipe, a reliable contractor will use reliable poly pipe - you can count on that. They don't need any headaches. Some companies manufacture extremely reliable utility pipe, and have been doing so for decades. Good distributors won't stock any doubtful materials.

Areas closer to the coast probably have sandier soils, and use of PVC is more common there. In heavier clay soils, with colder winters, poly is a better way to go.

Todd K

Wednesday, July 5th 2006, 1:52am

Thank you for the replies. I will take a look at the quotes once again and hopefully be able to make a decision soon.

Todd

Rate this thread